Chapter 11

Princess Reagan

"What did you tell them?" Cyrus demanded, grabbing me roughly by the collar, "I thought I warned you to avoid talking to anyone outside our own kingdom."

"It's not my fault" I mumbled, "He approached me first. What are you even angry about anyway?" My brother glared down at me; fury clear in his eyes. I met his gaze calmly, raising an eyebrow in question.

"They're accusing me of murder!" He snarled, his brows knitting as his golden eyes widened, "They think I killed Father and Apollo!"

"Are you trying to suggest you didn't?" I spat back, throwing my hands in the air, "I tried my best to believe you, but I saw the blood stains on your clothes that night. Father, I understand, but Apollo? He was our brother!"

"Reagan, hold your tongue" Cyrus leaned over me threateningly, "You do not understand what you are talking about. Remember your place."

"My place? What, in the kitchen? Making babies only to fall into the same trap we have?" The tension between our gazes was intense, barely suppressed vocal violence threatening to tear us apart, "I could care less that you killed our father, he deserved everything that was coming to him. It's not like he was ever good to us, but killing Apollo too? You're just a power-hungry fool."

"Enough!" Cyrus struck me across the face, his amber eyes staring at me with disgust, "Go get ready for the ball. I've had more than enough of you for one day." I watched as Cyrus turned away, shooting me one last filthy look.

"You're just like him" I called after him nonchalantly, "We all are. We're his blood, no matter how hard we try to escape." Breathing a sigh, I turned to the mirror next to me. I adjusted the jewellery on the horns that protruded from my forehead. One more day of this visit, then I would return home back to the only life I've ever known.

"Oh Cyrus, dearest brother, I hope you can save yourself" I muttered, "I can already tell you won't let me help. You never did, not after she died."

I wasn't entirely certain of what plans my brother was plotting, but I knew they couldn't be good. Ever since Cyrus learnt what power he could hold; he'd been obsessed with obtaining it. With our father and Apollo out of the way, he could now ascend the throne. His rushed coronation barely two days after his death had sealed that.

I was surer than ever he had indeed killed them. I felt no twinge of sadness to the death of our father. I barely felt anything for Apollo, it'd been too long since we considered each other siblings. Both of them had done nothing but hold me back. I'd always had the secret dream of being queen when I was older, but I knew it was impossible. By the time Cyrus passed he would have children ready to ascend, and I knew I didn't have the strength to challenge him.

So, I would bear it. Bear it how I have for the last sixteen years. I had no other choice.

I never did, and I likely never will.

***

Kijani

"Thank the gods this is the last day" I grumbled, "I'm sick of people glaring at me everywhere I go."

"Are they giving you a hard time?" Aspen stared up at me with round, sympathetic eyes, "Would you like me to have a word with the other rulers?"

"No, it's fine" I shook my head, "I let it hurt until it couldn't anymore, so it doesn't bother me." Aspen smiled up at me, his lips pursed together in a confident smirk. I gazed down at him, thinking how much I envied that breathtaking face of his, admiring it for all its beauty.

"Sorry to interrupt your eye sex, but it's time to go" a disgruntled Bellatrix stood in the doorway, "You two need to get a room."

"Fine, we're coming" Aspen rolled his eyes, "We're right behind you." Bellatrix raised a brow but turned away and disappeared down the hallway. I watched her leave with a bemused expression. I pulled my mask down over my face, letting it rest comfortably on my skin.