Chapter 21

Kijani

I bolted upright, cold sweat dripping down my spine. Glancing around feverishly, I noticed the sun was peeking through the window. My eyes flicked down to Aspen, who lay next to me, snoring softly. I took a long moment to admire him, even in his sleep he was still beautiful.

Right, I thought, it's my birthday. Twenty-six, eh? Another year closer to death, I suppose. If I didn't take myself out before then, that is. Kalaraja's words hung heavy in my mind, like ice freezing my skull.

"Can you stop staring at me? I'm trying to sleep..." A soft mumble came from between Aspen's lips, "It's creepy."

"Really?" I flopped back down on the bed, moving my face close to his. I stared right at him with my eyes wide. I saw him peek one eye open before falling into fits of giggles. His laugh made my lips curve into a small smile, warmth flooding my chest.

"Stop that!" He laughed, "It's weird."

"It's my birthday today," I told him, sitting back up, "I'm twenty-six now."

"Why didn't you tell me?!" Aspen pouted, "I haven't had time to get you a gift!" His eyes were wide with guilt, irritation clear on his face.

"You don't need to get me a gift" I rolled my eyes, "I completely forgot as well."

"I can offer kisses but I'm afraid a proper gift will have to wait until later" He laughed, "When was the last time you celebrated your birthday?"

For a long moment I had to pause to think. "Not for many years, I don't think. Not since my mother died."

"Oh, my poor darling" Aspen's eyes grew round, genuine sympathy reflecting back at me, "I'm sorry I didn't know sooner, I would have prepared something, a dinner or a party at the very least. Being able to celebrate your birthday is more important than you think it is."

"You're very emotional" I raised a brow, "It's not that big of a deal. My birthday is nothing for me to celebrate when it is the thing I regret most. Don't turn my sorrow into a tragedy."

"Then don't turn my emotions into weakness" His gaze hardened, "I am more dangerous than you know."

I met his gaze warily, and for a moment the mask seemed to have fallen. His façade of weakness, momentarily broken as his fingers slipped around my throat. I knew he could strangle me in a moment, yet I simply looked at him and smiled.

I raised a hand to his face, cupping his cheek. He looked up at me with a soft smile, the facade having returned to his pretty eyes. I bit my tongue, staring at his unfair beauty. My hands tight on his neck, I pushed him down with little protest. I grabbed him by the throat and didn't choke him, I just kissed him, so he forgot whose air he was breathing. Kissed him so I could be sure the only name he'd remember was mine.

A sudden knock at the door made both of us freeze.

"Hello?" I heard Hadiya's voice, "I have something urgent to discuss. If you could meet me outside in ten minutes, I would be grateful, your majesty."

"Uh- coming!" Aspen called out shakily, writhing as I kept kissing his neck. My hands reached lower, tugging at his shirt. My lips travelled from his neck up towards his jaw, kissing at it desperately. I wanted him, I needed to taste him. To bind together our bodies, intertwine our bones, devour him, strip all his layers of flesh so I could digest him. That was the hunger I held.

"No," Aspen sighed, pushing me away, "I want to continue, but Hadiya said it's important."

"Can't it wait?" I whined, "We can be quick."