Chapter 34

Princess Reagan

"Where are you taking us?" I demanded, pulling my hand away that Princess Hali had a tight grip on, "I have no reason to trust you."

"We don't have time to talk, we need to go" She hissed in reply, "Unless you want to die, go ahead."

"No, we have to stay and fight" Alani protested, "Our friends are out there! We can't just leave them!"

"Yes, we can!" She spat, her blue eyes ablaze, "We cannot risk dying, if we do there will be no one left to rule our kingdoms! Don't you understand? We are the last line of defence if they fail."

"I'm not going to sit here and do nothing to protect an already collapsing dynasty" I hissed, "Take Alani and go, I'm going to fight. Don't try to stop me."

"Reagan, wait-" she tried to say but it was too late. I shoved my way past her, striding back towards the ballroom doors. Despite the carnage inside, the hallway was silent. However, the walls did nothing to silence the screams of pain that echoed from within. I threw the doors open, gripping the small knife that was strapped beneath my dress. I wasn't entirely sure how to use it, I had never been trained in armed combat, only in magic.

That was fine, I only needed magic to rip my enemies apart.

"Hello, baby sister" The voice of the last person I wanted to see invaded my ears, causing a shiver down my spine. Cyrus, my dearest brother.

"Hello, brother" I turned around, narrowing my eyes at him, "Long time no see. I hope you didn't miss me too much." His smile broadened into a grin, malice gleaming in his eyes that were so like my own.

"Oh, not at all," he laughed, "In fact, I've been better than ever."

"I don't want to fight you, Cyrus."

"Why? Because you know you won't win?" He sneered, "Is all you care about self-preservation? You haven't changed a bit."

"No, I don't want to fight you because you're my brother. Despite everything, I still care for you" I shot back, "Call me a bitch, say you hate me. I still care about you no matter what. If you need to be mean, I'd rather you be mean to me. Just say I'm your sister."

"No, you stopped being my sister when you turned against me" he growled, "I cannot forgive you for that."

"Then if you cannot forgive me let me go" I replied, "For once in your life be happy for me. I'm trying my best to enjoy life, and here you are trying to take it all away."

"Get away from here, Reagan" he seemed to ignore my words, perhaps unable to find an answer, "I didn't come here to harm you. I want to hurt those that will harm us, don't stand in my way. I'm going to fix this world and make it one where we might've been happy. Don't you want that?"

"Not if the path to get there means thousands of innocent lives lost" I spat, "What you're doing is not a necessary evil, you are using your morals as an excuse to harm others in revenge for what our father did to you. Spilling blood to make up for the blood you lost won't make our mother come back."

"I'm doing what needs to be done" His tone was level, strangely tranquil, "The six kingdoms will fall, and the greatest empire of all time will rise in its place, with me as its leader. All will be free to live their lives, I do not care for their beliefs or blood, only that they must serve me. Don't you see what I'm trying to do?"

Around us the battle raged, the chime of steel against flesh and bone ringing high in the air. Slurries of blood and meat engulfed the ground as people were cut down. I wanted to feel sick at the sight, but I knew it was a mere taste of what was to come. People would continue to die until this battle was over, a battle where no one would be the victor. Death would be gaining many new subjects tonight.