Chapter 7

King Aspen

"Ugh, do I need to wear this?" Kijani huffed, "It's so uncomfortable."

"I told you" I gave a tug on the strings of Kijani's corset, "You have to look presentable." Kijani moved his head away, mumbling curses that I decided I'd rather not know the meaning of. I sighed, tying the strings off and stepping away.

Kijani wore a knee-length navy blue cape, matching with a tight corset. Under the corset, he had a lighter blue blouse. Dark dress pants matched with black dress boots. A pair of silver earrings hung from his wolf-like ears. He'd opted to wear his mask, despite me telling him not to. All in all, a lot of blue. But it suited him.

I wore much the same, only in green. I reached up to my head, adjusting my golden crown so it sat perfectly in front of my horns. My appearance tonight was important, I had to make a good impression on the other leaders. I had to seem respectable and smart, my reputation with them was more crucial than ever.

"The guests will be arriving now" I informed him, "We better head down."

It had been nearly two weeks since the datura nightshade incident, and we'd opted not to talk about it, which I was highly relieved about. I didn't doubt Kijani felt the same. Either way, it was time for the ball so there was no time to get distracted. I had to greet the other kingdoms, then stand there for hours nodding and pretending I cared.

"We still have a few minutes," Kijani murmured, his eyes wistful, "I don't want to be there any longer than I have to."

"If you want," I laughed. His mask was missing, held loosely in his hands. My eyes flew up to his face, widening when I realised how handsome he looked. I found myself blushing a little, averting my eyes.

"You look beautiful" I clamped my mouth shut; I hadn't meant to say that out loud. Finding the nerve to face him again, he stared at me with glittering eyes.

"Thank you" He tilted his head, looking a tad confused, "I don't think I've heard that before. However, I think you are the one more deserving of that compliment." I blushed, raising a hand to my shoulder. I'd been told all my life I was pretty, hearing it had never really meant much to me. Somehow, Kijani saying made it seem... different.

"Your face is red" I looked up, suddenly realising how close we were. I was almost pressing against the door, Kijani millimetres from me. My breath caught in my throat, willing myself to move or say something. It was as though I had been paralysed.

"It must be warm in here" I avoided his gaze, "Maybe I should open a window."

"It's autumn," Came his reply, "I don't think it's warm at all." He was so close, his sweet breath grazing against my neck. A shiver went down my side, the strangest ache in my lower area. What was it?

"We should go," I breathed, "We should definitely go."

"Go here?" His mouth was on my shoulder, "Or here?" It moved up to my neck.

His hands were on my hips, and his body pressed tightly against mine. Conscious of every point of contact between us, I dared not to take a single breath. My mind raced, my heart thumping violently in my chest. I realised my hands had found a place on the back of his arms, borderline using them for support as my legs weakened.

"We're going to be late" Slightly panicking, I slipped under his arm and reached for the door handle. His hand took its time falling away from my side, tracing the curve longingly.

"Of course," Kijani whispered. I dared not to look back.

I turned and headed out the door, closely followed by Kijani. Trying desperately to calm my beating heart, I focused my mind on the ball. Now I just had to find Bellatrix, my mother and Alani, wherever they were. It was tradition that the king entered followed by his Commander and any relatives or close friends. I'd told Ace and Kiran to go on ahead. I doubted either of them would enjoy being the centre of attention, especially Kiran.