Chapter 20

King Aspen

"Aspen, I really wish you would reconsider" Bellatrix pleaded, "You don't understand what you're getting into."

"I know perfectly well, thanks very much" I spat back, "I'm the king, I make the decisions." I glared at her, resentment engulfing me. She didn't understand. I am perfectly capable of fighting a war and making a few decisions. She refused to accept that I'm an adult now, not the helpless teenager she once knew. I could take care of myself.

"War is only sweet to those who have never fought" She snarled, "Your comfort around violence is just one evil arising from another. No man who goes into a land of revenge emerges with shoulders light of sin."

"Don't blame your lack of pride in your kingdom on my supposed foolishness" I snorted, "Your position is one of great honour, you should be a bit more grateful."

"You're just like your father, you know." My head snapped towards her, throwing her a filthy look.

"I am nothing like my father" I hissed, "And it could be considered treason to even suggest as such. Watch your mouth." Bellatrix clamped her mouth shut, glaring at me. Alani suddenly rode up beside her, looking sheepish.

"You are not coming," I said sternly, "You cannot risk dying."

"You're risking it, why can't I?" he pleaded, "I want to help."

"Just let him come," Bellatrix shook her head, "I'll protect him."

"Fine," I muttered, deciding it wasn't worth the argument.

"Your majesty, the troops are ready to leave" Hadiya strode towards us, dipping her head, "I wish you safe travel."

"Thank you, Hadiya," I nodded, "Let's go."

Mounting Yukio, I was followed by Bellatrix on her own horse. We made our way to the courtyard, where the soldiers would be waiting. When we arrived, a few civilians were looking at the gathered soldiers curiously. They of course knew we were almost at war; it was impossible to hide that any longer. Bellatrix cantered her horse to the front of the crowd. There were roughly a thousand men and women lined up, ready to fight.

"On my signal!" Bellatrix shouted, "March!"

I cantered up beside her, leading the charge. We urged our horses into a slow canter. The sound of horseshoes against stone rang bright in the quiet night air. I could only hope Kijani had been successful in his mission. If he was caught, I had no doubt they'd kill him. But I trusted him. He was strong and smart; he wouldn't go down without a fight.

"Aspen, are you okay?" Kiran suddenly rode up next to me, looking through his glasses at me with worry.

"Huh? I'm fine" I blinked in confusion, "Why?"

"Well, if I'd sent Ace on a suicide mission, I'd be worried sick" Kiran muttered, "Aren't you afraid?"

"No, why would I be?" I smiled, "Kiran, this is war, we don't have time for fear."

"The last time we fought a war your father was killed, it's normal to be scared!" Kiran's eyes widened, "I'm terrified, I don't understand how you aren't."

"Seems to be a serious lack of understanding everywhere" I muttered, "Why can't you all just leave me alone? I know what I'm doing."

Kiran flinched, like I'd hit him. He dipped his head, backing away. Once again, I was alone at the front of the pack. I glanced behind myself, realising just how many people were behind me. People I commanded. The feeling of power it brought excited me. The feeling of the risk... so many people could die, including me. It was just so thrilling to think about.