Chapter 29

Rainee

"So, not much of a talker I'm guessing?" I slid a glance at the snake hybrid next to me. Sicarius, I'd learned his name was. "I'd ask what you do for work but that's a bit obvious."

"Apologies, I'm just not used to working with people" For such a feminine face, he had a very deep voice, "My queen usually sends me on my missions alone." Despite his job as an assassin, he seemed to be a quiet yet respectful person, not at all who I thought he'd be.

"That's okay" I shrugged, flicking my feathered wings, "This mission should be a piece of cake, this king I've heard is only young. He won't be experienced enough to defend himself if anything goes wrong."

We were on our way to Xuidel as we spoke. Unfortunately, as Sicarius was unable to ride a horse we had to leave on foot, making the journey much slower. However, I quickly discovered he covered ground at a rapid pace, making me have to beat my wings every so often to keep up with him. As I looked ahead, I could see the border of Xuidel, the snowy ice quickly transitioning into black rock and dust. At Sicarius's warning of danger about the Fallen Forest, we had skirted around it as best we could.

"I wouldn't underestimate him too much" Sicarius's yellow eyes were dark with worry, "I've had the displeasure of meeting Cyrus a few times, he is not to be trifled with. He is far stronger than anyone his age should be. He was always better with a sword than his brother, and far more respected than his sister."

"What are we going to do with his sister?" I narrowed my eyes, "Will she just continue his plan, or will she stop it? She is only sixteen, correct?"

"Yes, we cannot kill her or there will be no one left to rule Xuidel" Sicarius replied, "I will also not kill more people than necessary, or more than my queen ordered me to."

"So boring" I rolled my eyes, "Rules are made to be broken, don't you want to have a little fun every once in a while?"

"There is nothing fun or pleasant about my job" Sicarius said darkly, "Anyone who takes pleasure in killing is pure evil. Killing people is a sick duty few are willing to do, but I am. I only kill for the greater good, never for my own gain or enjoyment."

"That's an odd thing for an assassin to say" I grinned with amusement, "I know most of us join so we can kill people without consequences. My mother was an assassin, which is why I joined. I'm a killer born and raised."

"Killing is a wrong but necessary evil," the snake hybrid commented, flicking his white hair over his shoulders, "Life is unfair, but that doesn't mean I have to be."

"Fascinating" I watched him closely, his slitted eyes scanning the horizon carefully. The two of us lapsed into silence, taking in our surroundings. We had yet to see any people, the only sign of civilisation we'd seen being the occasional village we skirted around. Sicarius blended in well in Vraekya, but the moment we entered Xuidel he would stick out like a sore thumb. Pale iridescent blue and purple weren't exactly common colours in a place built of plain rock and metal. If anything, I would blend in better, with my tan skin and long dark hair, I'd seem like any other citizen. Except for my wings and bird-like legs of course, from what I'd heard those would get me executed or thrown into prison.

"How are we going to disguise you?" I stared at him up and down, debating our options, "As beautiful as your scales are, they are a big giveaway of where you're hiding. We may need to find something to cover you, although..." My gaze drifted down his body and along his tail. His tail was at least five metres long, there was no way we were hiding it.

"We don't need to disguise me, I am an expert at remaining out of sight," he replied. I looked at him doubtfully, there was no way he could stay hidden looking like that. "I think you'll find most people aren't overly observant, it's only when we get inside the castle, I'll need to be more careful."