Chapter 23

Prince Alani

Confliction tore at my chest and ripped my head. I didn't want to betray my brother, but he'd left me with no other choice. I had to respond to Princess Hali's letter, despite his wishes against it. We needed all the help we could get.

"You're doing the right thing," Misaki told me as I spread Hali's crumpled letter out on the desk, "We need her help."

"Where did we go wrong?" I whispered, ignoring her comforting words, "Why has Aspen turned his back on reason?"

Staring down at it, my mind flashed with hundreds of images. Bodies falling to the ground, blood seeping from their wounds. Darkness, so much darkness. It was like the sun had vanished, leaving the shadows to roam free. Forcing it to the back of my mind, I tried to keep the dizziness at bay.

"Love is blinding" Kiran spoke, "I know I'd do anything for Ace."

"If this means getting my sister back, I'm willing to do anything," Felix said firmly.

I gazed around at them, smiling gratefully. I didn't know what I'd do without them. Letting out a breath, I reached for a quill. Dipping it in the ink, I began to write.

To Princess Hali of Masrira

I will happily accept your offer; we need all the help we can get. I would greatly appreciate it if you could write to us regarding any new information that might be of importance, and if you find out more about the whereabouts of Commander Bellatrix.

I believe it may be wise for you to start gathering followers. If your mother plans on joining Cyrus's side, we will have no choice but to fight her. You will be a better queen than her.

Sincerely,

I paused.

"Who do I sign it as?" I said nervously.

"Sign it as Aspen" Misaki instructed, "We don't need Hali knowing there's discord among us. It might give her cold feet about helping." I nodded.

Sincerely, King Aspen of Luris.

"Done" I pressed the quill into the page, adding the full stop, "Hopefully this will reach her quickly."

"Without Ace here it'll be a bit slower" Kiran murmured, "He was our fastest messenger."

"It'll be fine," Felix said dismissively, but his lip wobbled, "It should only take a couple of days."

"We need to start planning on how we're going to rescue Ace and Bellatrix," Misaki told us, "Them being in two very separate places is going to make this exceedingly difficult. I think we're going to have to decide who's in more danger."

"Bellatrix," I said immediately, "If she's been sent to Arden, she's in a lot of danger. We all know her history with him."

"As much as it pains me, I agree," Kiran said heavily, "Cyrus will still want to use Ace as a bargaining chip. He'll be fine for the moment I hope."

"I'm going to guess she's been taken to the dungeon, where Arden is keeping her" Misaki strode over to the map on the table, pointing at where the Aivocan castle was located, on the far east of the continent, "Unless he's stupid, which is highly likely, he won't kill her just yet. He'll want information, and whatever sick things he's planning."

"Should we take a squadron of soldiers and storm the castle?" Felix suggested, "Aivoca's soldiers are on par with ours, but we just need to hold them back long enough to rescue Bellatrix."

"We'll need Aspen's permission for that" I sighed, "He'll know if we try that. I think we should bring him into this. He'll surely want to rescue Bellatrix, she's too useful not to."