Chapter 24

Commander Bellatrix

I had the feeling I should wake up, like that might be a good idea. But my whole body screamed with pain as I attempted to move, resisting me. My eyelids were stone, refusing to open no matter how much I tried. Cold rock pressed against my knees, and tight iron cuffs encircled my wrists painfully.

My whole body strained against the weight of the chains. As I slowly grew more conscious, my smell and hearing were the first things to return. The odour of blood and dirt covered my whole body, the need to vomit making its way up my throat. Slowly, I managed to crack my eyes open. I became conscious of the hundreds of puncture wounds enveloping the back part of my naked body, some still bleeding. A severe yet aching pain thronged my lower half. The realisation washed over me, and tears sprung into my eyes.

It happened again, I wept internally, have I not endured enough? Is this it? Destined to die at the hands of a maniac?

The Banshee's call was loud in my ears, echoing in my skull. She was so loud, wailing in her misery. She lamented my impending doom, failing to realise how much I would fight it.

I let out a soundless sob, letting the blistering tears fall down my bruised cheeks. The tears were now the least of my worries. I had to be mindful that all my wounds didn't get infected. I could survive the initial wounds, but it was the infection that would kill me. Perhaps this was Arden's plan, to give me a slow and gut-wrenching death.

This wasn't the first time. It had been three days since Arden had imprisoned me. Three times I've been tortured and raped. My whole body was in excruciating pain. I'm not sure how much longer I can keep going.

I need to find a way to escape, I thought desperately, I can't keep doing this.

My mind was racing, searching for possible ways to escape. I had no way of freeing myself from the chains, and I couldn't use my magic as there wasn't any soil. I was going to have to try and fight the guards. When they come to get me, they'll unlock my chains. I had to just take my chances and fight, dying was better than this.

So, I knelt on my bruised knees and waited for them to come get me.

***

It wasn't long before I heard footsteps coming down the hall. My heart dropped as Arden and the guards appeared. Who was I kidding, I can't fight anyone in this state. I'm completely weakened and useless. But I still have to try. As they got closer, I eyed up a wicked-looking knife that sat in a hilt on the guard's belt. I needed to somehow grab it.

"Sleep well?" Arden grinned, "My, you almost gave me a smile."

"I had hoped you'd have died" I rasped, "But I couldn't be that lucky, could I?"

"Unfortunately, not" his lips pursed together in a cruel smirk, "Time for round four, I hope you're ready."

Oh, I am ready all right. I tried to seem complacent and calm as the guards reached forward and began unlocking my chains. As they hauled me to my feet, I pretended to stumble forward, leaning against one of the guard's hips. Before they could react, I snatched the knife out of its holster. In one quick move, I burst upwards and stabbed the guard in the neck. He let out a cry of shock as I pulled the knife out, watching the blood fountain out.

"Stop her!" I heard Arden shout as I turned to duck as the second guard swung his sword at me.

The first guard had collapsed to the ground and would likely be dead soon. From where I'd struck, I'd severed his carotid artery. Dodging another attack, I aimed the knife at the second guard's throat. He grabbed my arm, swiftly flinging me to the floor. I let out a choked gasp of shock, trying to fight the stars clouding my vision.