Chapter 31

Commander Bellatrix

A week had passed since Aspen and Kijani had returned and it seemed like things were almost returning to normal. At least on the surface, underneath was a much different story. Smiles and laughs were exchanged, but so were hidden glares and thoughts that were mostly unsaid. Ace made no move to confront Aspen about his betrayal, just as I made no move to confront Kijani about what he did while I was gone.

It simply wasn't worth it. All I wanted was to start fresh. It was clear Aspen and Kijani were never going to be normal again, the best I could do was embrace it and do my best to guide them on a path that was brightest. Once again it felt like I was the sole one in charge. The mother, the older sister, the caretaker, the servant, the nurse and the provider. The labour I thought I'd left behind had returned.

It was clear Felix had noticed my shift in mood, Misaki too. Both had rarely left my side. It was a relief to see that Felix and Misaki were getting along well, if anything they acted like siblings. They joked with each other and exchanged rolled eyes. It felt like a weight being lifted off my shoulders knowing my brother approved of whom my heart had fallen for, despite me not saying anything directly.

I would be lying if I said Aspen and Kijani didn't make me envious. It was all too often I spotted them hugging or gently holding each other in positions that could only be comfortable if you were in love. Misaki held me like that, but it didn't yet feel the same. I wanted something like what they had, complete and total comfort in each others presence. Hell, we hadn't even gone further than kissing and with her I already wanted more.

It was two days until Aspen's birthday celebration. I must admit, I was nervous. The idea of a party was harrowing, the memories of what Arden did painfully bright. But no matter how much it hurt, I refused to let my fear get the better of me. I was in control, not my heart or my trauma. Even though the surface wounds had begun to heal, the mental ones had not. I wasn't sure they ever would.

At the age of twenty-eight, I'd seen a lot. Physically I was young, but my mind was well beyond my years. The death of my parents, taking my newborn brother and fleeing for our lives. I don't know what would've happened that day if we hadn't stumbled upon King Ferris on his way back from visiting a nearby village. Despite how much I hated him and what he did to me, I knew I owed him my life.

"Commander, it seems one of our spies has returned" My thoughts vanished like a puff of smoke, clearing as the voice returned me to reality. I turned to the middle-aged woman who had spoken to me. She was one of my generals, highly experienced and trustworthy.

"Take me to them immediately," I said firmly. I was desperate to know how one of our spies had returned, I'd been sure they had all been killed. Perhaps they had valuable information, at least I could only hope.

"Of course," She nodded, greying hair falling around her brown eyes. I remembered her name to be Addilyn. She was among the few soldiers that had ever treated me as their equal.

Addilyn turned on her heel, striding down the hall. I frowned, following her. I wondered why we were headed to the courtyard, surely, they would be waiting in the throne room? Deciding not to question it yet, I followed without a word.

My frown only deepened as we stepped out into the courtyard. It was hard to tell in the fading light, but I could see two people standing over a strangely shaped lump on the ground. As I got closer, I began to realise that lump looked horribly like a body.

I was unfortunately right. Their face was so mutilated I couldn't even tell who they might have been. Their jaw had been nearly wrenched completely off their face, hanging on by a thin string of muscle. Lungs that should be inside their chest had been wrenched out through the bottom of their rib cage. My gaze travelled further down the mangled corpse, noting the thighs had been sliced open vertically, exposing the bone. The muscle on the backs of their calves had been completely sliced off and were missing. Raising a brow, I took in the trail of blood and intestines along the stone ground of the courtyard. There had been nothing quick or gentle about this person's death.