Chapter 10 : Bolt from the blue

Jab se chadhi jawaani, dhoondhti dil da haani,

Jab se chadhi jawaaaaniii, dhoondhti dil da haani,

Mai anjaani ko yeh paani le na jaave rod...

FLASHBACK

Things change, and time goes by. Everyone around us may not be the same as they are now. As we age, our memories also age.

I last saw that boy at the beach around ten years ago. I'm not sure who he was, but I hope he's still alive. I hope he's clinging to something that will sustain him. My life has changed, and I am now a mature young lady. My parents always tell me that I am the heir to the family money. Despite the fact that everything around me is lovely, I can't help thinking about that boy ten years later as I wander along the same beach.

It's about 6:30 p.m. when Mom calls to inform me it's time to head to the neighbouring motel where we'll spend the night. I swiftly approach her and inform her that I will be there shortly after sunset. She agrees, and I return to my original location, watching everything on my path. I enjoy watching the sun set. Throughout the day, the sky is serene. I can't stop thinking about him whenever I go to the beach. I closed my eyes for a time, recalling him. 'I hope you're all right.'

That's when someone sits near me, I remain to enjoy the breeze for a few seconds longer. They start talking before I can open my eyes and see who it is.

"Long-time no see."

I swiftly turn around to see a handsome late-teenage boy looking at me with a tiny smile. I give a modest smile, but I'm having trouble remembering who this person is. I can't believe what my brain is telling me when I look at his features.

"Are you having trouble remembering who I am, Meeru? Or should I refer to you as Sweety or Pumpkin?"

"Youuuu." ITS HIM. Oh my God, he's alive. When he says my nickname, which only he and my family know, I immediately recognize him. I embrace him enthusiastically.

"Thank God you're all right. I used to think about you all the time, wondering if you were still alive, where you lived, and how you were doing." I say it all at once, and when I realize what I'm doing, I hastily move back a foot and stare at him, mortified.

"Sorry," I say, looking at my feet.

"It's fine; I'm fine. Thank you very much. I'm doing fine." He appears to be similarly embarrassed, but he conceals it well. He seemed to be fine and even muscular when I hugged him, but his clothes scream differently. It appeared to be a little worn out, and he appeared stressed out and older than he actually was.

"You live here?" After a little pause, I shifted the subject.

"Uh... yeah." My phone started buzzing, interrupting his sentence. I excuse myself and answer the phone. My mother called me and she asks me to return to the motel where my family and I are currently residing because it is growing dark outside. That's when I saw how few people were around, and how late it was.