Chapter 15: Hooter

Follow me on insta the_old_shelf for more updates

Teri disha mein yun chalne se mere,

Pairo ko pankh lage...

"It's been a week, Maan, and I don't like repeating myself

"It's been a week, Maan, and I don't like repeating myself. You'd better get things sorted out as soon as possible." Shakti snapped back at me. There was an assignment that I was supposed to, er, do, but it had passed its due date.

It wasn't always this difficult. There were times when simply doing my job felt as if it were my destiny. However, ever since Meera arrived, I've only wanted to be near her. I have a feeling that if I leave again, I might not be able to see her.

"By tomorrow, I'll take care of it." Because I knew that was the only way to calm him down, I suggested setting a deadline.

Without further comment, he ended the call.

"Bloody son of a.." I was about to finish when I heard someone clear their throat. I knew exactly who it was. Turning around, I saw Meera standing there with a disapproving look on her face. It was clear that she had overheard my frustrated outburst, but she quickly covered it with a smile.

"Good morning, Man..Maan." She stammered through the rest of her sentence. This was exactly why I refrained from telling her about my past—I was afraid she would start acting differently.

"Don't try to be nice and eat your breakfast. I'm leaving." I said, fully ignoring her but enjoying how her facial expressions switched.

"Hey wait, where are you going?" She stopped me and questioned.

"To pack my bags for a trip for work." I responded turning half towards her. "I'll be gone for a week." I explained, feeling a sense of urgency in my voice. "Is there something you needed?"

She shook her head side to side, indicating a NO, and looked sad. I was contemplating with my inner self if I should approach her or go upstairs. As I hesitated, a pang of guilt washed over me. I decided to take a step closer to her and gently asked, "Is everything alright? You seem upset."

I reached her as she was sitting at the dining area in one of the seats.

"With you gone I uh I'm a bi...bit scared. What happened la..last time with him..."I was able to clearly understand what she was getting at. She was obviously still quite impacted by that past event involving David. My heart ached at the sight of her vulnerability, and I knew I had to be there for her.

"Look at me Meera." I murmured, holding her face in my hands, and slowly pulling it upward so she would look me in the eye. She did turn to face me, but she had glassy eyes.

"He is no longer here, I am done with him." I said. But she gave a confused look.

"I fired him. And the other guards will be here soon."