Chapter 20: The Absence

Hai pyaar toh kayi dafaa kiyaaa,

Tujhse nahi kiya toh kya kiyaa,

Teraa mera hai vaasta,

Hai iss zindagi ki daastaan

Ya phir humara pehle se hai raabtaaa....

A few things changed once I realized Manhar was "that drowning boy" I had met years ago. The boy who first caught my attention when he smiled at me while waiting for me at dawn. 

There are two types of people in the world.

1) Who knows if they are in love at first sight and;

2) Who, through their interactions with their love interest, gradually develop feelings for them.

However, I don't fit into any of these categories. I guess I liked Manhar when he stood up at dawn and gave me his 100-watt smile. It took me years to understand that I had lost my heart to that smile at that exact moment. On his birthday 11 years back.

To him.

Years later, when he again came to my rescue in Goa at sunset on the beach, I felt the same way, as though my heart was trying to tell me something but stupid me couldn't hear understand it. His smile had been etched in my memory all these years, but it wasn't until now that I made the connection.

It was as if his smile held me in place, and everything around us slowed down.

His smile, was better than any drug.

I was pulled to him, and it was addictive. I was dreaming about him as I slept and awoke to see him around. And while I was with him, time flew by.

Every second I spent with him felt destiny, like we were supposed to be together.

Natural.

It was as if the universe conspired to bring us together, and I couldn't help but believe in fate. The intensity of our connection was undeniable, and it felt like we were two puzzle pieces finally fitting perfectly into place.

But when he kidnapped me, I swear my life couldn't have been any worse. It seemed as though I had just woken up from a dream.

I realized that life can sometimes take cruel turns and THIS was one of them.

I never saw it coming, and the betrayal cut me deep. It shattered my trust and questioned everything I knew about love and destiny.

It's funny how one minute you start telling yourself how much you like someone and then the next minute you try to erase everything good you ever thought about them.