Chapter 2

“Welcome, sister-in-law. Is it just the two of us in the dining room today?”

The next day, towards the end of the afternoon, Miyoung went to the dining room for an early dinner. Wonsik’s brother Taeyeon arrived first and sat in the dining room. He greeted Miyoung.

“It is. My husband said he had an appointment to eat outside today”

Miyoung took a seat across from Taeyeon. Soon after, the chef started serving meals for two. Miyoung, who was looking at the food that the servants were serving one by one, glanced at Taeyeon for a moment. He looked at the food being served with an expressionless face.

And the moment she turned her gaze to Taeyeon once more, their eyes met. Without realizing it, Miyoung blushed and avoided his gaze.

“What’s wrong, sister-in-law?”

Taeyeon, who saw Miyoung avoiding his gaze in surprise, asked in a calm voice.

“Oh no, nothing. The food is all here. Let’s eat”

“…have a good meal”

Miyoung quickly concealed her expression and offered Taeyeon a meal. All the food was served, and they started eating.

‘You’re always cold…’

Looking at Taeyeon’s face sitting across her, she thought so.

The Duchess Kim Miyoung had a crush on Kim Taeyeon, her husband’s younger brother, for over three years. It’s already been three years and six months.

However, it has been only three years since Miyoung and Wonsik married.

Yes, Miyoung had Taeyeon in her heart before she married her husband, even before she got the proposal from Wonsik.

She recalled the first day she met Taeyeon.

That day, Miyoung made her social debut.

At seventeen, she was young and innocent.

She couldn’t sleep the previous day because she was excited about her social debut. Miyoung took her first steps to the banquet hall with admiration and a dream of a society of splendid nobles.

‘Everyone is shining… so bright’

But the moment she stepped on, she couldn’t raise her head because she was so shabby.

It was because the dress she was wearing looked too old. None of the ladies came in an old dress like her. It seemed that Miyoung was the only one wearing her mother’s dress.

She thought she was pretty well dressed. The night before, she wore her mother’s dress and looked in the mirror, immersed in the illusion that maybe she was getting a proposal right away from a nobleman.

But the reality was different. There was no shabby girl other than Miyoung in the banquet hall. Her shining hair only had a small hairpin made of sapphire that her father gave her mother.

But what about the other noble ladies? From colorful dresses with jewel powder to dresses with expensive and bulky jewels.

Unlike Miyoung, who could not even wear a common necklace, they decorated themselves with splendor from head to toe, such as earrings, necklaces, and tiaras.

She bowed her head, unable to lift her face in embarrassment. She was looking at the ballroom floor, but she had her ears open. She could hear laughter. It seemed that the people in the banquet hall were gossiping about her.

‘I don’t think this is the right place for me’

Miyoung ran out to the veranda because she could no longer put her feet on the banquet hall.