Chapter 5

My father's black work car is parked in the driveway.

"That's different," I said.

I walk up the short concrete walkway. The door is unlocked. I shake my head. We might live in the good part of town, but bad things could still happen.

Locking the door behind me, I kick off my shoes by the door. I start heading upstairs, but I notice a light on in my father's office and I can hear his voice. Probably in some kind of meeting.

I tiptoe along the wall and listen through the crack of the door. Whatever the meeting is about, can't be good.

"What do you mean it has begun?" My dad is not yelling, but he is not talking softly either.

   I can hear him pacing around his office. Something heavy thuds to the ground. I am silent, so he doesn't hear me.

  "She is a normal girl," said my father. He sounds stressed. "I'm not letting anyone get rid of my daughter. If she transforms, I'll handle it myself."

   I cover up my mouth. What do he mean get rid of me? I can only think of one being behind that word, but I refuse to believe it. I'm a little shaky after what he said.

"Isabella never wanted to hurt anyone. She died because of me" he said. "Even if there was a chance to get her back, I'm not risking my daughter life. She wouldn't want that."

He is sick. Is this a depressive episode or something? How can he pretend like that about her?

"Can she be taught to control herself? She is not even a full vampire. She still can remain in the human world." That's it. He's really gone insane.

He is crazy. Transform? My stomach is in knots. "She is not some bloody thirsty vampire."

"Isabella would never have hurt me. She was a vampire for hundreds of years and she knew how to control herself. Our daughter is a human and I'm not sending her away to live with you two," he said.

He has really gone off the deep end. Who would he send me to live with? We have no one here, but us.

"I know she's dangerous, but she's my daughter. I will do what ever is in my will to protect her even at the cost of my own life."

That is it enough. I don't worry about him hearing me, I just run away to my car. This has got to be a prank. He's starting to lose it.

How can he believe that I'm dangerous. I've been his daughter for eighteen years.

That's not even the part that disturbs me. It's the fact that he believes there is a way to get mother back. I miss her too, but even I know that there's no way to get her back.

  I pull into the long driveway. I love to roll my window down and let the wind blow into my face. But the Arizona heat is fucking insane. It's a hundred and eleven.

  Prescott has never been this hot. I feel like I'm suffocating. As I pull up into Angel's driveway I ring the bell so they can open the gate. Angel stays in the woods, so even in scorching weather, she stays somewhat cool.

"This is Myla Vandeli," I say into the intercom. There's some static before the security man opens the gate.

  Angel is loaded. She never brags about her money and you wouldn't know she had it unless you saw it. 

The house is two stories tall and has both an indoor and outdoor pool. I never asked what kind of work her father does; whatever it is it must pay the bank.

  "Hey, sweetie. Angel should have told me you were coming, I could have had the cook prepare something special." Her mom is bubbly and you would think they would be besties. 

  Instead, it's a love-hate relationship. I hear Angel run down the stairs. "Mom why didn't you tell me she was here." She cast an accusing look at both of us.

"I just got here," I said. She grabbed my arm and began pulling me towards the stairs.

"Don't you want to stay and watch TV with me?" I feel a bit guilty. She ignores her and we walk towards her room.

I love Angel's room. It is always dark and she has violet and pink LEDs. The entire wall is covered in posters and records of old bands. She has fake plants everywhere and beanbags in the center of her room. The window is huge and shows the Mountain View in the background.

  "I have something to tell you."
  She is glowing and smiling hard. I push aside what I have to say. I smile back at her. I can't help it.

"Jordan asked me to go to the movies," she says. She picks up a pillow and shoves it on her face. I stare at her shocked.

UNKNOWN POV:

I hunt for hours in order to build up my strength and control. I will be surrounded by hundreds of humans and I want to make sure I make no mistakes.

The woods surrounded the house is full of all kinds of wild animals. I love the forest and the animals. They don't love me.

Animals are smarter than humans in that way. They know what I am, without knowing me. Their instincts are sharp but not sharper than mine.

They can't outrun me and I silently ask them for forgiveness. What more can I do, because I'm the most dangerous predator on the planet. I'm feral and I need to feed in order to live.

Since I've been away from my homeland as long as I have, I need to feed even more in order to remain humane. I always felt some kind of guilt for the way I am.

In the moment I feel nothing but pleasure from the blood that flows down my throat. Animal blood isn't as filling as human blood, but it will have to work for now.