Chapter 13

The next two hours I spent staring out the window and trying to ignore the sickening feeling in my stomach. The further he takes me from home, the worse the feeling gets.

    I glance over at him. How can he look so calm? This is kidnapping. I'm filing a restraining order on him when I get home. Would that even help?

    The mountains stretch up high into the clouds. I have only been to the mountains once and that was because my dad won three skiing tickets. I remember it like yesterday; I hated it. The cold seeped into my suit no matter how many layers I wore and I tripped over my skis continuously.

  Lately, I've been nothing but cold.

   He turns down a dirt road and I tighten my grip on the door. All the worst-case scenarios run through my head at the moment.

  Did he seriously bring me out here to kill me? No one would find me out here.

    This never ends well in horror movies. I shouldn't have allowed him to get me away from home. I could make a run for it as soon as the car stops.

  I second-guess myself once I take a look around at my surroundings. The mountains frame the background and the trees cocoon themselves around us. Where would I run to? I'm not fit for survival in the wilderness.

  Even with my newfound strength, I could not survive there. There's no doubt in my mind if I run he will find me.

   The car comes to a stop in the middle of a clearing. I look out the car window and gasp at the huge house that sits in the middle of the clearing.

Its gleaming wood exterior is dotted by tall glass windows. Who needs a two-story mansion in the middle of the woods?

   I step out of the car and the rocks crunch underneath my foot. To the far right is a little wooden cabin and I'm taken back for a moment.

   Is this where Dexter wanted to take me? I feel tears swell into my eyes and it feels like my heart is being squeezed.

  I turn my back to the car until I can get my breathing under control. He will not see me cry.

I stiffen when a hand lands on my shoulder. He doesn't do it harshly but I still react

   I yank my shoulder from him. Who does he think he is to treat me like this? "Keep your hands off me you bastard," I snap.

  I walk towards the house never glancing back to see if he follows me. If he's going to kill me, he better get to it. I will not be demeaned any further today.

   Tossing all my manners out the door I let the door slam in his face. I turn around and smirk at the pissed look on his face. His fists are clenched at his side and his eyes begin to burn a light shade of crimson.

   "Did anyone ever teach you manners?" He growls.

    I stare at him and burst out laughing at the irony of his words.  "Yes, but no one has taught you."

   He clenches his jaw and walks off. I stare at him. I don't wonder where he's going and I really could care less.

It would be rude to just go off exploring his home without his permission. So I explore the room I'm in.

I drag my hand along the tables and there's not a single spot of dust that coats my finger. My favorite part of the room is the large stone fireplace. It gives the room that family feeling.

   I stand a few more minutes waiting for him to return. When he doesn't I collapse into one of the sofas.

I take a moment to take note of my surroundings and the exit points. The room is furnished nicely, there are no signs of clutter. Parents must be clean freaks.

   This home oddly looks like it suits him; only his actions don't match.

I don't even know where I'm at and I'm sitting in the middle of a got damn forest. None of it makes sense. If he wanted to ask me questions he could have done it in a more secluded area in my town. Why drive this far out? The whole situation makes me question myself.

    I could understand his alarm at seeing me in the alley. In reality, he lives on blood too. What haunts me is the fact that he asked who my creator was. Did he think I was bitten and turned into a vampire? 

  It still bothers me that he showed up at the worst moment. The school wasn't even out yet...

   I groan and lean back into the sofa. He followed me. Of all the creepy and low-life things he did, he followed me. I'm not proud he saw me in that state and I'm not proud of what I did. Could I have stopped it? Why was he following me in the first place?

   What kind of job does his parents have to afford a place like this? And if this is where he lives why does he drive almost three hours to go to our school?

   I jump at the sound of foot steps approaching behind me.