[Side Story 10]

"Do you have any 7s?" An older Coco asked.

"Go fish." Trent answered. He now had a beard, a few wrinkles and a less healthy body than before.

"Nicole, are you going to take Pancake on a walk?" Cody asked her.

"No... too lazy." She answered.

"Well, I guess I'll take him then. But you need to feed him later, okay?"

"That's fine." She answered.

"All right, I'm leaving. Do you want me to pick anything up for you?"

"Can you get me some coffee?" She asked.

"Hm... aren't you too young for coffee?" Cody asked, squinting his eyes a bit.

"Dad let me have some last time." She told him.

"Really?" Cody sighed. "Fine. I'll get you a small one."

"Thanks. What about you, uncle Trent?"

"A beer if it isn't out of your way."

"I'm just going to a coffee shop. I don't think they sell beer." Cody told him.

"Whatever. It's fine."

"Well, I'm leaving." Cody told them before doing that.

"Uncle Trent..." Coco called out.

"Yeah?"

"I heard about grandpa... before my parents got married."

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"He told me about how he used to drink because his husband died..."

"He told you about that?" Trent asked.

"Yes. And he said he did a lot of things he regretted."

"Yeah. He did." Trent agreed.

"So... I know you started drinking ever since you saw uncle Justin and his baby..."

Trent sighed.

"I don't understand why grown-ups do the things that they do... but I don't want anything bad to happen to you."

Trent gave her a small smile. "You're sweet, Nicole. But you don't have to worry. I'm not gonna be like Cody's dad. For starters, I don't have any kids to abuse..." he said mostly as a joke.

"What..?"

"Oh! Nothing. Forget I said anything. But I'm the type to beat myself up instead of taking it out on others. That's why I started drinking. Grown-ups have a harder time dealing with negative emotions. So we choose not to."

"I don't understand... why not just talk about your problems with your parents?" She asked.

Trent chuckled a bit. "That is helpful for you when you're upset. But my parents don't need to worry about me at their age..."

"That's so sad... who's going to worry about you?"

Trent frowned a bit.

"Why do you love uncle Justin so much...? Why can't you fall in love with someone else?"

"That's what I'd like to know. I used to think love was silly and not necessary. Until I met Justin..." he sighed.

Coco looked at him. "I hope I never fall in love."

"Why would you hope for that?"

"I know my dads are very happy, but... you're not and neither was grandpa. What if it doesn't work out for me?"