Chapter 18

Word count: 6128
_________________

A couple of days later, I sat at the kitchen table, observing Jey as he prepared for another meeting with his family. After all that stuff that went down with his soon to be ex wife, I was a little on edge. I was paranoid as hell because she was still alive and her mouth worked totally fine. It has been a few days and Jey hadn't said anything about his family knowing about what happened and maybe he told her not to say anything but I was a little scared for my life.

Jey knew I had been jumpy but I didn't express to him how scared I actually was. The stories he and his brother told me about his family had me creeped out, let's not forget about what his ex-wife said to me. That's what had me nervous as well. Jon told me about this Joe character and now she was basically saying the same thing about him. That was one person I did not want to come in contact with. Seems like someone who just does what he wants to do and doesn't give a fuck about anything or anyone but himself.

"Why you so quiet?" I heard Jey say from across the room. He was sitting in the living room, looking at me while I was in deep thought about everything that's been bothering me.

I shrug. "No reason." I continue playing with my half full mug of peppermint tea.

"Something has been bothering you for a few days now and you haven't spoken to me about it. I've just been sitting here waiting for you to come to me but you haven't. So now I'm asking, what's wrong, baby?"

I look over at him and I take a deep breath and exhale. "I'm worried about your family coming for me."

"That's what you're worried about? Babe, I'm here with you. Nothing is going to happen as long as I'm here."

"You're literally about to leave in a minute."

"I won't go then. I'll tell them something came up." He picks up his phone.

"You don't have to do that."

"No. Your safety is my priority. If you don't feel safe with Tony downstairs, then I'm not doing something right. I'm calling them." He dials a number on his phone. "Hey, I ain't coming." He says. I don't know who he called. "Naw, I got this thing up north. Just let me know the details of the meeting when it's over." He gets up and walks over to me. "It's not a big deal. If it's so important then conference me in." He places his hand on my shoulder, then leans down and kisses my forehead. "Let me talk to Joe then. Yeah, that's what I thought. Yall on some bullshit Sefa and I ain't got time for none of that. Hit me if you need me and like I said call me with the details when it's over. Or don't. I don't give a fuck." He ends the call.

"What was that about?" I ask

He sits down next to me. "My brother said if I don't come they may cancel it."

"Why do they need you there so bad?"

"I don't know." He says. "But I'm not worried about that, I'm worried about you. What can I do to make it better?"

"Nothing. You're already staying here with me and that makes me feel a lot better." I smile.

He takes both of my hands. "Why don't I take you out tonight? You were so happy a couple days ago when we were at St. Regis for those few nights. I think you need to get out of the house, get all dressed up and I'll take you to dinner."

"I love our dates."

"I know you do. That's why I'm doing it. You don't have to do anything, I'll have everything planned out by 6 o'clock?"

"Yeah, that sounds good."

"Good. Is there anything else?" He asks

"Yes, but it's not important. Thank you."