Late Night Calls

Closing the door to your home as the lights are flicked on. The familiarity of the place allows your eyes to rest. Brain slowing down with your guard let down, away from the various possibilities of the outside world. 

Walking towards the kitchen you toss the red jacket onto the couch. Clicking on the gas-powered stove, letting the blue flames flicker as you fill a kettle with water. Prepping a warm beverage of your choice. 

Rhythmic vibrations in your back pocket makes your heart jump for a moment. The sudden panic dissipates quickly as heat pricking at your ears replaces it. 

"I think you might have kidnapped my jacket." Sunspot's figure fills your phone screen as the video call plays on.

"I'm so sorry," You say,"It wasn't on purpose, I swear."

"So you say," Sunspot teases, "Just remember to bring it with you when we practice again."

"Did we ever decide when?" Pulling out your favorite cup you set it on the table.

"I don't think so, wanna say...tomorrow?"

"Wow, just want me on the grind huh?" You cross your arms, leaning against the counter.

"I just want my property back." 

"You just can't stand not being around for me for a whole day." 

"Double negative," Sunspot signs, standing straighter than he has been. "Is it so bad to want to spend time with a friend?" Your eyebrow arches in suspicion. "We aren't going to be doing any sparring, I swear. I can give you a break on that."

"You don't have to give me anything." Sass laces your voice as the kettle screams in agreement. Grabbing a cloth to pour the boiling water into your cup, Sunspot adds on-

"Except for advice, to which, you agreed too." 

Bobbing your head from side to side you pull your arms in, "eh."

"As per my title-"

"-Self-proclaimed," You interrupt. 

"So you say," Sunspot continues, "I'm thinking we could take a break from the battles and focus on your weak points,"

"Which one?" A snort emerges from you. 

"You really need to learn how to build," Sunspot signs, "You get pretty far without any sort of cover but it seriously makes or breaks the fight."

Thinking back on the previous match of the day, there were plenty of close calls. Moments where the game could have easily ended for you if he wasn't there to save you in the nick of time. As grateful as you are it is something dire in those events.

"Fair enough," Bringing your warm drink to your lips the contents fill your chest with warmth. "Am I gonna learn to how build those really tall structures? Mazes?" 

"Reaction timing," Sunspot grabs his phone as he shuffles to a different area of his home. The screen becomes dim before your eyes are momentarily blinded by the lights being turned on. "You tend to buckle a little when you're faced with too many things at once."

"I think anyone would," Pulling a chair to the side you give your legs a break.

"That's why we gotta build your instinct to build and then think," Clunks and sliding drawers peak the phone mic, grating your ears. The screen is then filled with a blue paper and white lines scribbled across it.

Blueprints.

"Everyone has those prints, Sunny." You comment. Bringing the blueprints down from your field of vision Sunspot looks at them, a sort of dopey smile on his face. 

"I know, but I haven't seen it in a long time." He glances at you before returning back to the paper. 

"You got a smile to you," You rest your head on your hand as Sunspot tilts his head in slight confusion before your words register in his mind.

"You called me, Sunny." He says as if it was obvious. It was your turn for your brain to churn before realizing what you had said. 

"Yeah, I did, is that okay?" You put your arm down, worried you may have crossed a line of some sort.

"It's nice," He signs, expression soft followed by a silent giggle. 

"If I ever say something weird or something that crosses a line you'll let me know, okay?" You point a finger at him, sipping your beverage.

Sunspot nods his head, "Naturally, though, I think it's gonna be difficult for you to say something I don't like." You must have made some sort of face for Sunspot to begin to backtrack. "You know, aside from fights or sensitive subjects, so far it's been good, chill!"

His arms are pulled closer, gaze to the side rather than forward making you laugh.

"I'm glad you see things that way so far," You say reassuringly. 

Now that the two of you are on call, an idea pops in your head. 

"Are you busy right now?" Your tone holding far more mischief than it should have. 

"No, why do you ask?" Sunspot sits on his bed as he takes his shoes off. 

"Wanna watch a movie or something over a call?" A silent laugh follows Sunspot.

"I really thought you were going to suggest robbing a bank or something," He signs.

"You just think I always get into some sort of trouble, huh?" You say with mock offense. 

"Again, you can't blame me. But yes I would enjoy a movie, I have a few I've been wanting to watch." He taps his chin.

"Didn't think you were a movie guy, lemmie guess." You set your cup to the side as Sunspot was already cringing at what you are about to say. "Silent movies?"

He physically turns away from you on his bed. Crossing his legs. Allowing his hands in view he signs, "That is ableist." 

"Oh, come on!" You whine. 

"You couldn't be more predictable." He turns to make the following statement. "For your information, I do like silent movies thank you very much. They are expressive and have wonderful use of lighting."

"Nerd." You say.

He practically lunges at the phone while you laugh.

(967 Word Count)

When I catch you ricky! When I catch you!