A Heart Misbeat

"I gazed at Kyle, lost in a sea of numbness and serenity, as my heart grappled with the unfamiliar. In that moment, all I knew was that the boy beside me had somehow hacked into my emotions, unleashing a maelstrom of feelings I'd never experienced before. His presence had glitched its way into my heart, rewiring my soul and leaving me awash in uncharted sensations."

"Is there something on my face?" Kyle asked, his concerned expression evident.

I snapped back to reality, realizing I had been staring at him. "No, I'm sorry. Really sorry. I was just lost in thoughts."

Kyle's face relaxed, and he smiled. "No problem. I just thought you needed something, or my face had something on it."

I apologized again, feeling a bit embarrassed. "I'm sorry. Won't happen again. I'm really sorry."

Kyle chuckled and shook his head. "No problem, and you can stop saying sorry."

But I couldn't help it. "Sorry for that," I said, not wanting the conversation to end. There was something about Kyle's voice, soft like summer rain yet deep like an ocean, that drew me in.

Kyle laughed and introduced himself, his smile showcasing teeth white like mountain snow. "Okay, I guess you're infected by a sorry virus. By the way, I'm Kyle, but I guess you already know your name is Shawn, right?"

I corrected him, feeling a bit flustered. "Yes, I'm Shawn. No, I mean... yeah, I'm Shawn."

Kyle grinned. "You're a funny guy, Shawn."

Just then, our teacher, Mr. Freddie, interrupted us. "Is there something you want to share with the class, you two?"

Kyle responded quickly, saving me from having to answer. "No, Mr. Freddie."

Mr. Freddie nodded. "Thought so. Now, let's continue with the lesson."

I smiled at Kyle, feeling grateful. "Thanks, Kyle."

He returned my smile, but with a confusing expression, as if he didn't want to draw any more attention to us. "No problem, just keep it quiet. We don't want any problems on your first day."

After my first lesson, I headed to the lunchroom, searching for Kyle. But he was nowhere to be found. Just as I was starting to worry, a loud voice pierced the air.

"Hi, weirdo!" Ella exclaimed, appearing out of nowhere and making me jump. "Oh shit! You scared the crap out of me! I almost dropped my food."

Ella chuckled. "Whoa, chill. It's just a hi. And by the way, I forgot your name."

"It's Shawn," I replied, still trying to calm down.

Ella smirked. "I know, I was just joking. And why are you staring at everyone in the room? Get a seat or something."

I shook my head. "I'm looking for Kyle. Do you know where he is?"

Ella raised an eyebrow. "If you're talking about the Kyle in our class, then you're out of your mind. That guy doesn't talk to anyone. He's like, not for everyone. He even sits alone."

"But I talked to him in class," I said, confusion etched on my face.

Ella nodded. "I know you did. It almost got you in trouble. That guy is like, super smart, so teachers pay a lot of attention to him. Stay away from him, and let's get a seat before lunch ends. I need to eat."

We walked towards the tables, and Ella led me to an empty seat. "Aren't we supposed to sit with someone?" I asked, surprised that a popular girl like Ella would choose to sit alone.

Ella shrugged. "I'm also not a people person, but not by choice. People are full of shit." She stuffed her face with chips, and I couldn't help but wonder what she meant.

"Okay, but where does Kyle sit?" I asked again, my curiosity getting the better of me.

Ella rolled her eyes. "Damn, you really like talking about Kyle, and you just met him like an hour ago. Do you have a crush on him or something?"

I quickly defended myself. "No, I'm straight. Why are you saying that?"

Ella just smiled. "Nothing. You're just talking about him a lot."

"Thanks for reading! Keep being your beautiful self! ✨"