Beneath The Surface

We strolled together through the chilly night air, our footsteps echoing down the street. As we passed the Daisy field, I remembered Kyle's fondness for it, a detail he had shared with me on our first meeting.

"How much farther until we reach your house?" I asked, aware that I'd be heading back alone and didn't want to venture too far.

"Just a few minutes," Kyle replied, his breath visible in the cold air.

As he spoke, we arrived at his house, and he halted, taking a deep breath before stepping inside. I hesitated for a moment, then followed him into the warm glow of the living room.

Kyle's dad sat on the sofa, a glass of beer in hand, his gaze fixed on some distant point. "No explanations," he said gruffly, without even glancing up to see who had entered.

Kyle opened his mouth to speak, but his dad cut him off with a raised hand. "Not a word, Kyle. This time, I don't want to hear it."

The tension in the room was palpable, and I felt a pang of discomfort, sensing the strained relationship between Kyle and his father.

"Dad, I was at a friend's house working on a school project," Kyle explained, his voice laced with a hint of desperation. "He even escorted me here," he added, gesturing towards me.

But Kyle's father wasn't having it. He raised his hand again, silencing his son. His gaze shifted towards us, and he locked eyes with me for a moment, his expression unreadable. Then, his eyes returned to Kyle, and he held them there, the silence between them thick with tension.

Suddenly, Kyle's father broke the silence, his voice stern and weary. "Kyle, go to your room. I'm tired of hearing your dumb excuses again."

He then turned to me, his expression unyielding. "You can go home now. Thanks for bringing him back, but next time, just tell him to come home early."

His tone was firm, his face red with anger. I watched as Kyle trudged up the stairs, his head hung low in defeat. I felt a pang of sympathy for him, sensing the depth of their conflict.

I turned to leave, but Kyle's father slammed the door shut behind me, the sound echoing through the night air. I stood there, taken aback by the intensity of their argument. I had never imagined that Kyle's home life was so tumultuous, so fraught with tension.