The Class Project

Two weeks had passed since I started at my new school, and it had been a grueling, emotional rollercoaster. Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse,Mr. Freddie, dropped another bombshell.

"Shawn, Shawn, Shawn," he called out, his voice piercing through my pretend attentiveness.

"Yes, sir?" I replied, startled.

"Did you even hear what I just said?" he asked, his tone laced with skepticism.

"Yes, sir," I lied, knowing I hadn't heard a word.

"Okay, tell me what I just instructed you to do," he challenged.

I hesitated, my voice shaking. "You said I should do what you instructed me to do, sir."

The class erupted into laughter, and I felt my face burning with embarrassment. Everyone was staring at me like I was a failed Broadway show. The only ones who didn't laugh were Kyle, who was always quiet, and Ella, who laughed at everything - but even she didn't find this funny.

"Quiet, everyone!" Mr. Freddie commanded, and the laughter ceased.

"Shawn, you're always zoning out in class," he scolded. "I told you that you'll be paired up with Kyle for this project, and you nodded your head like a robot. But it's clear you weren't paying attention."

My heart sank as I realized why Ella hadn't laughed. This wasn't a laughing matter. I was going to be stuck alone with Kyle, the boy responsible for my scattered feelings, for hours on end.

Mr. Freddie's voice cut through my thoughts, his words dripping with sarcasm. "Kyle and Shawn, you two have been chosen to prepare a traditional Egyptian meal and write a comprehensive essay about it. And, Shawn, I want a lengthy essay from you - consider it your punishment for being a corpse in class."

The classroom fell silent, and I felt my face burning with embarrassment. Mr. Freddie's gaze lingered on me, his eyes narrowing in disapproval. I knew I had to speak up, to show him I was still engaged.

"Kyle, what do you think we should do?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.

Kyle's response was quick and awkward. "We'll work on the project at your house."

I hesitated, unsure why he didn't want to work at his own home. "Oh, okay. But why can't we do it at yours?" I asked, my curiosity getting the better of me.

Kyle's explanation was rapid and hesitant. "My father doesn't like a messy kitchen, and I don't think we can prepare a meal we've never heard of in a neat way."

I nodded, understanding his concerns. But I didn't want to press him further, fearing I'd make him feel uncomfortable. So, I kept quiet, leaving the conversation to fade away like a dying ember.

It was Friday, so we had to start on the project in the evening and finish on Saturday or Sunday. I went home to prepare my room and house, not wanting Kyle to see me as the messy person I knew I was. I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of him, so I cleaned and organized every corner of my room, making sure everything was spotless. I even vacuumed the floors and dusted the furniture, determined to make a good impression.

As I finished cleaning, I heard Kyle knocking on the door, making my heart skip a beat. I took a deep breath, smoothing out my shirt and running a hand through my hair. I opened the door, and Kyle stood before me, his eyes scanning my newly cleaned room.

"Hey," he said, his voice soft. "Your house looks really nice."

I smiled, feeling a sense of pride. "Thanks, I cleaned it up a bit."

We stood there for a moment, awkwardness hanging in the air. Then, Kyle spoke up.

"Shall we get started on the project?"

I nodded, and we sat down at my desk, ready to begin our work.

"Thanks for reading,and tell me what you think,keep on blooming🏵️"