A Much-Needed Break

After a long, overwhelming week, I craved a reprieve. I sought solace in my bed, hoping to untangle the knots in my mind and heart. I needed to figure out what was going on with me and how to overcome my feelings for Kyle before I succumbed to them and ended up broken, as always.

But my mother wouldn't let me indulge in self-pity. "Shawn, wake up and help me out!" she called from the kitchen, her voice piercing through my reverie. I knew that if I hesitated, things wouldn't go well, so I reluctantly got up and made my way to the kitchen.

"First, wash the dishes, then take out the trash," she instructed, her hands moving efficiently as she cleaned up to prepare for her outing with Aunt Lilly. "And don't forget to prepare lunch." I nodded, feeling the weight of responsibility settle upon me.

"What time will you be back?" I asked, trying to understand her plans.

"I'm not sure," she replied, slipping on her new shoes. "You might need to prepare supper too, as I won't be back for a while. If it's midnight, don't wait up for me; just close the door and go to sleep. I might stay at Aunt Lilly's place."

I nodded again, feeling a sense of resignation wash over me. "Okay, Mum."

As she headed out the door, she turned back to me with a warning: "You might think I'm gone forever and neglect your chores, but I promise you, if I find this house messy with the trash still here, you'll face the consequences."

With that, she left, leaving me to tackle the tasks she had assigned. It took longer than I expected, and by the time I finished, my head was spinning with emotions and my body was exhausted from the physical labor. All I wanted to do was collapse onto my bed and calm myself down. But before I could even close my eyes, a knock at the door interrupted everything.

"Shawn, open the fucking door!" a voice called out from the other side, as if she owned the place. I hesitated, wondering who it could be. I approached the door cautiously and peeked through the mirror to see who was demanding entry. To my surprise, it was Ella. I wondered how she had gotten my address and what she wanted, hoping it wasn't about school.

"Shawn, I can literally see you; don't pretend like you're not there," she called out again, her voice piercing through the door. I couldn't resist; Ella was a good person, and I trusted her. I opened the door, and she strode in, her eyes sparkling with a mischievous glint.

"Hi, Ella," I said, trying to sound nonchalant.

"What took you so long?" she asked, playfully punching me on the upper arm.

"I was asleep," I replied, rubbing my eyes. "And how did you find out where I live? What brings you here?"

Ella rolled her eyes. "Don't worry about how I found your address, Shawn. I just had a boring weekend and decided to visit. I need nothing from you, I swear."

I raised an eyebrow. "Okay, but I'm kinda busy."

Ella snorted, her hand on her hip. "Do you really think I'm that dumb? You've just said you were sleeping."

I chuckled, feeling a bit more at ease. "Okay, I have nothing to do. I just had a long day and needed to recharge."

Ella nodded, her expression softening. "Well, don't worry; I'm not here to disturb you. I just wanted to chat."

As she made herself at home, sitting on the couch, I couldn't help but wonder how she had managed to find my address. But Ella just smiled and changed the subject. "Where are your parents?"

"I live with my mom, but she might not be here for a while," I replied, trying to sound casual.

Ella grinned. "Great!" She settled into the couch, making herself comfortable, and I realized I was in for a longer visit than I had anticipated.

"Ella, can I get you anything? I'm super tired and need to lie down for a while," I asked, hoping she wouldn't mind.

"Get me anything, as long as it's not water," she replied with a smirk.

I fetched her a glass of lemon juice and settled onto the couch beside her, trying to keep up with her energetic vibe. Ella sat there, sipping her juice and staring at her phone, her eyes fixed on the screen.

I couldn't resist asking, "Ella, don't tell me you came all the way here just to stare at your phone? You could've done that at your house."

She chuckled, her eyes sparkling with mischief. "I have siblings, and they can be a little annoying sometimes. I thought you might need someone to talk to, since I'm your... unofficial therapist."

I raised an eyebrow, giving her a weird look. "Ella, you're not my therapist! We're literally the same age, and you're a little too crazy to be a therapist."

She grinned, her mouth squinting up at the corners. "You know I'm the only person you can talk to about Kyle."

My heart skipped a beat. "What's up with Kyle?" I asked, trying to sound nonchalant.

Ella's knowing tone made me squirm. "You know exactly what I'm talking about. We literally discussed this last time. You have a crush on him, but pretend like you don't, and it's killing you inside, right?"

I kept quiet, my eyes fixed on hers, knowing she had hit the nail on the head. Ella's smile grew wider, her eyes shining with pride.

"See, now you're quiet. As I told you, I'm good at this. You needed me here; you just don't know it."

Her words lingered in the air, leaving me feeling exposed.

"Am I that easy to read through?" I asked Ella, my curiosity piqued.

She let out a triumphant laugh. "Ha! I wasn't sure if you really liked him, but now you've just exposed yourself. And I told you, I'm your unofficial therapist, so it's easy for me to read your mind. Plus, you act all fired up every time we talk about him."

I shook my head in denial. "But I'm not even sure if I like him, so it doesn't count."

Ella shrugged, her eyes fixed on her phone. "I'm not sure either. Let's just give it time. And honestly, I find Kyle a bit weird, but since you're weird too, I guess it's a fit."

Her words stung, but I couldn't deny the truth in them. For the rest of the day, I sat there, lost in thought, trying to escape the turmoil in my mind. But it seemed that relaxation was a luxury I couldn't afford just yet.

"Your support means a lot✨"