Chapter 25 Beautiful Mess

"I can't even look at you now." His father's voice rang clearly in his head, followed by the disappointment that filled his eyes as he frowned at him.

Huddled in his bedroom, Jeong Eun hasn't moved an inch from his position on the floor since he made it into his room. The child's sobs were filled with nothing but despair as he thought back to what happened outside.

Despair because he had hurt his little sister.

Despair because of the disappointment on his father's face.

Despair because he had become the problem child that his parents wouldn't love.

He was sure his parents would have never wanted to adopt a child who would end up hurting their own. And poor Jeong Eun felt terribly bad for hurting Eun Ae when she just wanted to play.

Why did he push her?

As a child who was still trying to find his place in his new reality, Jeong Eun felt utterly helpless.

He didn't even know how to face his family anymore.

As despair continued to weigh down his heart, Jeong Eun's cries only grew louder. Each one began with a deep, shuddering inhale, followed by a choked cry that ripped from his throat as he clenched his eyes shut. His small body trembled with each sob, tears streaming down his face and staining the floor beneath him.

The raw vulnerability of his cries was truly heartbreaking for anyone who was to witness it, for no child should ever cry as hopelessly as Jeong Eun

Sometime later, Jeong Eun finally opened his eyes and he looked out of his window at the setting sun. And as he reflected more on everything that had happened until this point, the little man decided that he no longer wanted to burden his family.

Willing his tears away, Jeong Eun wiped his tears away with his sleeves and picked himself up from the floor. With that, he grabbed his bag and emptied all his textbooks, before he stuffed some essentials in the bag. His tiny hand froze when he saw Peony sitting innocently on his bed and a part of him thought to bring her along, but he quickly stood back with a shake of his head.

He shouldn't bring anything that would remind him of his family.

All packed now, Jeong Eun reached out for the latch that would open his bedroom window and looked down. He could feel his heart hammering against his chest as he thought about what he was about to do, but he didn't let his fear deter him as he mapped out a path in his head that would safely get him to the ground.

Before he could change his mind, Jeong Eun climbed out of his window, his backpack in tow. Sitting on the ledge of his bedroom window, Jeong Eun lifted his hoodie to cover his head, his eyes trained on the floor beneath him.