Chapter 49: The Thoughts We Hide

Eri waited out the clock. Seconds, minutes, and eventually hours passed. The world had begun to slow down. Hurried office workers taking the train home, overworked parents driving back to feed their children, even teenagers and young adults outside of clubs and bars eventually found their way into a building, whether it be to a dance floor, bar, or back home, expecting a killer hangover in the morning.

Eventually, the ambient city noise vanished, and the house went silent. Even with the thin walls, she couldn't hear Izuku or Ochako, knowing at this point that they were fast asleep.

Stepping out of her room, she turned behind her, taking a step to see if Izuku's light was off. Her placement wasn't off this time, able to check behind her neck that his room emanated nothing except darkness. Carefully, she descended the staircase and left the house, locking the door as silently as possible.

Descending another set of stairs, she reached into her pocket subconsciously, reaching for the earphones that she had lost, sighing once she realised they were no longer there.

Nevertheless, she wasn't affected by the painful sting of her memory.

Breathing in the fresh, nighttime air, she felt at peace, despite the tiredness and all of the emotional rollercoasters of the day.

She wasn't bound by any strings and finally felt free.

Swinging her leg forward, she started to walk, slowly at first, letting the entire day sink in.

Before she could feel the proverbial ocean overtake her, a voice cut through to her, causing her to whip her neck back, yet no one was there to meet her.

The voice.

There it was again.

Where was it coming from?

She looked back in front of her, then to her sides, constantly whipping her neck, putting her hands up defensively, as she heard someone call her name, yet it felt familiar, even though she felt stranded.

After looking up of all places, she saw him, and her eyes nearly jumped out of her sockets.

"Hey! I didn't know my younger sister was Hellen Keller!" Izuku joked, shouting from the rooftops, finally grabbing Eri's attention, as Izuku stood up tall, the moon serving as his background from her point of view.

Walking closer to the apartment building, Eri looked all the way up to meet him, "What the hell are you doing up there?!"

"Seeing how well you sneak out, I gotta say, not bad." He said with a smirk, barely able to make out her surprised expression, "Come back up, I'll show you how to get up here." He said, walking towards their balcony, as Eri ran up the stairs, a million thoughts racing through her head, but they were all silenced by the sound of her breathing and the various actions she took to get back into her home.

Locking the door behind her, she made her way into the sitting room, as Izuku was standing in the balcony, sliding the door open for her.

"How the hell did you get up there? Are you hiding a ladder in the house I didn't know about?"

"Or I could be Batman and I just jumped up there." Izuku joked.

"Izuku, you're not Batman. Come on, tell me." Eri said, smirking and rolling her eyes.

"Fine. Here, step back." He said, as he looked up at the small lip of concrete, grabbing it with his fingertips and carefully planting his feet on the balcony's railing one at a time.

Eri instinctively took a step forward, seeing Izuku's feet wobble, "You're gonna fall idiot!"

"I've done this before, don't worry." Izuku said calmly, steadying himself, still holding on with the tips of his fingers, the roof of the building just out of reach, as he jumped forwards, still leaning forwards, and grabbed onto the roof, pulling himself up.