Chapter 49: Dinner Disaster

Rebecca's POV (1st Person):

The shouting in the house had reached a fever pitch, and I couldn't take it anymore. My parents were at it again, their voices bouncing off the walls, each word a sharp dagger aimed at the other. I couldn't stand it. I had to get out of there.

I grabbed my jacket, threw on my sneakers, and slipped out the front door, not even bothering to close it quietly behind me. The cold evening air hit me like a slap, but I welcomed it. Anything was better than the suffocating tension inside.

As I started running, my thoughts were a chaotic mess. The upcoming school trip was the only bright spot in my life right now. I couldn't wait to get away from everything, to escape the constant fighting and the suffocating atmosphere at home.

I ran through the dark streets, my footsteps echoing in the stillness. Images of Mr. Montgomery flickered through my mind like a broken film reel. His concerned face when he found me drunk, his warm eyes as he praised my work in class, the time at his house when I'd asked for his help. Ugh, why did he have to invade my thoughts now?

I tried to focus on Alex and Jack instead. Alex, with his confident swagger and his stupidly hot Lamborghini, and Jack, with his infuriating persistence and our ridiculous deal. But no matter how hard I tried, my mind kept drifting back to Mr. Montgomery. The way he looked in his swim trunks at the pool—stop, brain! Just stop!

Why was he so damn confusing? One minute he was caring and sweet, the next he was a total shitface, giving me stupid assignments about honourifics. I let out a frustrated groan and picked up my pace. The cold air burned my lungs, but I didn't care. I needed to outrun these thoughts, these feelings.

I didn't know where I was going or how long I'd been running. I just kept moving, my legs carrying me through the dark, empty streets. My mind was a whirlwind of memories and emotions, a tangled mess of confusion and frustration.

The trip couldn't come soon enough. A whole week away from everything, from everyone. I needed it more than anything. Maybe then I could sort out my feelings, figure out why Mr. Montgomery affected me so much, why I couldn't get him out of my head.

As I slowed down, panting and out of breath, I found myself near the park. I stumbled to a stop and collapsed onto a bench, burying my face in my hands. Tears pricked at the corners of my eyes, but I refused to let them fall. Crying wouldn't solve anything.

"Get it together, Rebecca," I muttered to myself. "You're stronger than this."

But even as I said the words, I felt the weight of everything crashing down on me. The fighting at home, the confusion about Mr. Montgomery, the pressure of school. It was all too much.

I took a deep breath and looked up at the night sky, the stars twinkling above me. I wished I could escape to one of those stars, leave all my problems behind. But life didn't work that way. I had to face my problems, no matter how much I wanted to run away from them.

As I sat there, my thoughts slowly started to untangle. I needed to talk to someone, to figure this out. Maybe Charlotte or Oliver could help, or even Alex. But deep down, I knew the person I really wanted to talk to was Mr. Montgomery. As much as he frustrated me, he was the one who seemed to understand me the best.

With a sigh, I stood up and started walking back home. I wasn't ready to face my parents yet, but I couldn't stay out here all night. Tomorrow, I'd try to sort things out. Tomorrow, I'd face my problems head-on. But for now, I just needed to get through the night.

As I trudged back home, my thoughts still a chaotic swirl, I tried to focus on the rhythmic sound of my footsteps on the pavement. It was late, and the streets were eerily quiet, save for the occasional rustle of leaves in the wind. The silence was almost oppressive, pressing down on me like a heavy blanket.