Chapter 35: Doubtful Shadows

Hey! I have another chapter for you guys, I really hope you enjoy it.

As Rebecca exited the gym after changing back into her uniform, she noticed Oliver leaning against the wall, scrolling through his phone. With a quickened pace, she made her way over to him, feeling a little flustered from the earlier touch from Mr Montgomery.

"Hey, Oliver," she called out, a smile playing on her lips as she approached him. "What's got your attention?"

Oliver glanced up from his phone, a grin spreading across his face at the sight of Rebecca. "Hey, Becca," he replied, his voice warm with genuine affection. "Just checking my messages. What about you? How's the ankle?"

Rebecca shrugged nonchalantly, trying to downplay the lingering discomfort in her ankle. "It's getting better," she replied with a awkward smile. "Thanks for asking."

Oliver looked at her, a playful grin spreading across his face as he noticed her approach. "Who's the lucky guy?"  he teased, raising an eyebrow in mock suspicion.

Rebecca's eyes widened in surprise at his teasing, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment. "What? No one!" she exclaimed, her tone a little too defensive.

Oliver chuckled, a mischievous glint in his eyes as he leaned in closer. "Come on, Becca, spill the beans," he urged, nudging her playfully. "I've had my little pigeons following me around, so I know everything."

Rebecca's eyes widened in disbelief at his confession, a mixture of surprise and amusement crossing her features. "You what?" she spluttered, unable to hide her astonishment.

Oliver shrugged nonchalantly, a smirk playing on his lips. "Let's just say I've got my sources," he replied cryptically, winking at her. "So, spill it. Who's the lucky guy?"

Rebecca's cheeks flushed even brighter at Oliver's playful insistence. She shifted uncomfortably, unsure how much she wanted to reveal.

"Oh, you know, just someone," she replied evasively, trying to brush off his inquiry with a casual shrug.

But Oliver wasn't about to let her off the hook that easily. He leaned in closer, his eyes twinkling with mischief as he persisted. "Come on, Becca," he urged teasingly. "I promise I won't tell anyone. Scout's honour."

Rebecca rolled her eyes at his antics, but there was a hint of amusement in her voice as she relented. "Fine, fine," she conceded with a chuckle. "It's just... someone from class, that's all."

Oliver's eyebrows shot up in surprise at Rebecca's response, a mischievous glint dancing in his eyes. "Oh, really now?" he quipped, his tone laced with amusement. "And here I was thinking you had a crush on Mr. Montgomery."

Rebecca's cheeks flushed crimson at the mention of their English teacher. "What? No, of course not," she sputtered, her voice betraying her nervousness. "I was just... thinking of someone else, that's all."

But Oliver wasn't convinced, a knowing smirk playing on his lips as he leaned in closer. "Sure, sure, Becca," he teased, nudging her playfully. "We all know the truth. You've got a thing for the teacher."

 Rebecca's heart raced at the implication of his words, her mind swirling with a tumult of emotions. She couldn't deny that Mr Montgomery's name was the first one to pop into her mind at the thought of a crush. She couldn't deny the strange pull she felt towards Mr. Montgomery, the way his touch had sent shivers down her spine earlier. But to admit it out loud? That was a whole other story.

With a nervous laugh, Rebecca brushed off Oliver's teasing, eager to change the subject. "Come on, let's go grab some lunch before afternoon classes start," she suggested, steering him away from the topic at hand. "I'm starving."