Chapter 56: Unspoken Boundaries

Third Person:

Rebecca woke to the soft light filtering through the infirmary window. Her body ached, but the sleep had done her some good. She felt groggy, the remnants of her vivid dream lingering in her mind. Shaking it off, she decided to get up and refresh herself.

Slowly, she got out of bed, wincing as she moved her sore shoulder and foot. She made her way to the small bathroom attached to the infirmary, splashing cold water on her face and brushing her teeth. The cool water helped wake her up, and she felt a bit more human as she changed into a pair of shorts and a t-shirt.

As she emerged from the bathroom, there was a knock on the door. She opened it to find Oliver standing there, a cheerful grin on his face.

"Hey, Rebecca," he said. "Thought I'd come by and keep you company."

Rebecca managed a small smile. "Thanks, Oliver. I could use the distraction."

Oliver walked in, taking a seat on the edge of her bed. "How are you feeling?"

"Better," Rebecca said, sitting down beside him. "Still sore, but at least I got some sleep."

Oliver nodded, studying her face. "You look like you've got something on your mind."

Rebecca sighed, feeling a surge of frustration. "It's just... Mr. Montgomery. He hasn't come to see me today, and I bet he's off somewhere with Karen. It drives me crazy."

Oliver raised an eyebrow, a playful glint in his eye. "Jealous, are we?"

Rebecca groaned. "I can't help it. It's like she has him wrapped around her finger, and it makes me so mad."

"Well, we can't have you sulking all day," Oliver said, his tone lightening. "Let's see if we can cheer you up."

Before Rebecca could protest, Oliver started tickling her sides. She burst into laughter, squirming to get away from his relentless fingers.

"Oliver, stop!" she gasped between giggles. "You're going to kill me!"

Oliver laughed, his fingers continuing their assault. "Not until I see a smile on that face."

Rebecca's laughter filled the room, her bad mood momentarily forgotten. She wriggled and squirmed, trying to escape his tickling, her top rising up slightly as she moved.

Just then, the door to the infirmary opened, and Mr. Montgomery walked in. His eyes took in the scene before him—Rebecca laughing uncontrollably, her shirt riding up, and Oliver's hands on her stomach.

Oliver stopped abruptly, his eyes widening in surprise. Rebecca looked up, her laughter dying in her throat as she saw Mr. Montgomery's expression. There was a flicker of something in his eyes—jealousy? Anger? She couldn't quite tell.

"Am I interrupting something?" Mr. Montgomery asked, his voice cool and controlled.

Rebecca's cheeks flushed with embarrassment. "No, we were just... Oliver was trying to cheer me up."

Mr. Montgomery's gaze shifted to Oliver, his expression unreadable. "I see."

Oliver stood up, his hands raised in mock surrender. "Just doing my duty as a friend," he said with a grin, though his eyes darted nervously between Rebecca and Mr. Montgomery.

"Thank you, Oliver," Mr. Montgomery said, his tone still cool. "But I think Rebecca could use some rest now."

Oliver nodded quickly. "Of course. I'll see you later, Rebecca."

As Oliver left the room, Rebecca felt a mix of emotions—embarrassment, confusion, and a strange thrill at Mr. Montgomery's reaction.

 She watched Mr. Montgomery as he closed the door behind Oliver, his shoulders tense. He turned to face her, his eyes locking onto hers with an intensity that made her heart race.