Chapter 68: A Night of Confessions

Rebecca's POV (1st person):

I sat in my room, the glow of my laptop casting a dim light across my face. The familiar sounds of my favourite TV show played in the background, but I wasn't really paying attention. I was sulking, binge-watching, and crying intermittently. Mr. Montgomery's rejection played over and over in my mind, like a broken record I couldn't escape.

I felt a mix of anger and heartbreak. I knew he was right—we couldn't be together. But he didn't have to be such a shitface about it. Every time I thought about his harsh words, my chest tightened, and the tears started all over again.

"Rebecca!" my mom's voice called from downstairs. "Dinner's ready!"

"I'm not hungry," I yelled back, wiping my tears with the back of my hand.

"Don't be ridiculous," my dad's voice joined in. "You need to eat."

I groaned, muting the laptop and trudging downstairs. As soon as I reached the kitchen, my parents started in on me.

"Why are you so moody?" my mom asked, setting a plate of food in front of me. "You barely leave your room anymore."

"Yeah," my dad added, his brow furrowed. "Is everything okay at school?"

"I'm fine," I snapped, picking at my food. "Just leave me alone."

"Don't talk to us like that," my dad said sternly. "We're just trying to help."

"Well, you're not helping," I shouted, pushing my chair back and storming out of the kitchen. I could hear my parents arguing as I went back to my room and slammed the door.

I threw myself onto my bed, burying my face in my pillow and letting out a muffled scream. Why did everything have to be so complicated? Why couldn't things just be simple for once?

I was lost in my thoughts when my phone buzzed. I picked it up and saw a message from Matt, Mr. Montgomery's brother.

Matt: Hey, Rebecca. I know things are tough right now, but I wanted to invite you to my Bachelor and Bachelorette party. It'd mean a lot to me if you could come.

I stared at the message, my heart racing. The last thing I wanted was to be around people, especially knowing Mr. Montgomery would be there. But Matt had always been kind to me, and it felt rude to decline.

Rebecca: I don't think I can make it, Matt. I'm really not in the mood for a party.

Matt: Please, Rebecca. It would really mean a lot to me. And maybe it could help take your mind off things.

I sighed, feeling the weight of his request. Despite everything, I didn't want to disappoint him.

Rebecca: Fine. I'll come. But I'm not promising I'll be any fun.

Matt: That's all I ask. Thank you, Rebecca. See you there.

I tossed my phone aside and lay back on my bed, staring at the ceiling. The idea of facing Mr. Montgomery again filled me with dread, but maybe Matt was right. Maybe I needed to get out of my room and try to move on.

___________________________________________________________________________

Lane's POV (1st Person):

I stood in my brother Matt's living room, nursing a glass of whiskey. The early evening light streamed through the windows, casting a warm glow over the room. We were preparing for his Bachelor and Bachelorette party, and the atmosphere was already charged with excitement. Matt and a couple of his friends were here early, and we were enjoying a few drinks before the rest of the guests arrived.