Chapter 47: Bury Me Now.

Rebecca's POV (1st Person):

The announcement of the cabin field trip sent waves of excitement through the class. Mr. Montgomery's description of the serene location, the activities planned, and the bonding experiences promised a break from the mundane routine of school. My heart raced with anticipation, but a nagging worry began to settle in as I thought about the cost. I knew my family's financial situation wouldn't allow for such luxuries.

That evening, I approached my parents, clutching the brochure tightly. "Mom, Dad, there's this amazing cabin trip in a month, and I really want to go. It's a chance to bond with my classmates and experience nature."

My father barely looked up from his newspaper. "A cabin trip? Sounds like a waste of money to me."

My mother sighed, glancing at me with tired eyes. "Rebecca, we can't afford that right now. If you really want to go, you'll have to find a way to pay for it yourself."

Their words stung, but I understood. Determined, I decided to find a job. The next day, I headed into town, scanning every storefront for "Help Wanted" signs. After what felt like hours of searching, I stumbled upon a quaint little café named "Sweet Haven."

The manager, a cheerful woman named Claire, welcomed me with a warm smile. "Are you looking for a job, dear?"

I nodded eagerly. "Yes, ma'am. I need to earn some money for a school trip."

Claire looked me over, then handed me an application. "Fill this out, and let's see what we can do."

Within a week, I started working at Sweet Haven. The uniform was cute, a short pastel pink dress with a white apron. It was a bit shorter than I was used to, but it fit the café's charming aesthetic. My role involved taking orders, serving food, and occasionally helping out in the kitchen. I quickly learned the ropes, finding a rhythm in the bustling environment.

One afternoon, as I balanced a tray of pastries, a small figure collided with my legs. I looked down to see a boy, no older than five, gazing up at me with wide, curious eyes. His curly hair bounced as he stumbled back, looking startled.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" I exclaimed, steadying the tray with one hand and reaching out to him with the other. "Are you okay?"

The boy nodded, his lips curving into a shy smile. "I'm okay."

I glanced up to see a man approaching us, presumably the boy's father. He was young, maybe in his early thirties, with a rugged yet handsome face. His eyes were kind but slightly concerned as he looked between his son and me.

"Is he bothering you?" he asked, his voice warm and gentle.

I shook my head, smiling. "Not at all. He's adorable."

The man chuckled, ruffling the boy's hair. "Well, I'm glad to hear that. I'm Chris, by the way, and this little troublemaker is Dylan."

"It's nice to meet you both. I'm Rebecca," I replied, still smiling. "Can I get you anything?"

Chris glanced at the menu. "I'll have a coffee, and Dylan would love some hot chocolate."

"Coming right up," I said, heading back to the counter to prepare their drinks.

There was something comforting about them, a stark contrast to the stress and chaos at home. When I brought their drinks over, Dylan's eyes lit up at the sight of the hot chocolate, topped with whipped cream and sprinkles.

"Thank you, Rebecca," Chris said, his eyes meeting mine with genuine appreciation.

"You're welcome," I replied, feeling a warmth spread through me. "Enjoy your drinks."