Chapter 75: The Pool Exchange

Lane's POV (1st person):

I leaned back in my office chair, staring at the ceiling. Today had been a whirlwind of emotions and self-control. Rebecca had a way of getting under my skin, making it impossible to stay professional. I knew I shouldn't have touched her, shouldn't have teased her like that, but something about her drew me in, made me want to see her blush, hear her laugh.

God, I was losing my mind. If I kept this up, there was no way I'd be able to wait until she finished school. Every interaction with her left me craving more, and it was becoming harder and harder to resist.

Just then, my phone buzzed, pulling me from my thoughts. It was a text from Matt. "Meet me at the suit shop at 3. We need to get fitted for the wedding."

I sighed, running a hand through my hair. I needed the distraction. Maybe some brotherly banter would help clear my mind.

________________________________________________________________________________

Later at the Suit Shop

I walked into the suit shop, greeted by the familiar sight of my brother browsing through a rack of jackets.  His usual blonde hair was tousled, a darker shade than mine though. "Hey, Matt," I called out.

He turned and grinned. "Lane! Just in time. Thought you'd ditch me."

I chuckled. "Not a chance. Let's get this over with."

We started trying on suits, and the conversation was light and easy at first. But I could see the wheels turning in Matt's head. He had that look like he was about to bring something up that I wasn't going to like.

"So," he started, a smirk playing on his lips, "how's school going?"

I raised an eyebrow, sensing where this was heading. "School's fine. Busy, but fine."

"Uh-huh," he said, nodding. "And how's Rebecca doing?"

I nearly choked on my own spit. "Rebecca? She's... she's fine. Why do you ask?"

He shrugged, trying on a jacket and examining himself in the mirror. "Just curious. You seem to mention her a lot, are with her a lot, did I mention on top of her a lot?"

"I am not," I protested, feeling my face heat up.

"Sure you not," he said, rolling his eyes. "Come on, Lane. You can be honest with me."

I sighed, running a hand through my hair again. "It's complicated, Matt."

"Complicated how?" he pressed, clearly enjoying this.

"She's a student. It's not right. But... I don't know. I can't help it," I admitted, feeling a weight lift off my shoulders.

Matt laughed, clapping me on the back. "Well, at least you're being honest. But seriously, you've got to be careful. Don't do anything that could get you in trouble."

"I know," I said, sighing again. "But it's so damn hard."

"That's what she said," Matt quipped, waggling his eyebrows.

I groaned, shaking my head. "You're impossible."

"And you're infatuated," he shot back. "Just... keep it in check until she graduates. Then you can do whatever you want."

"I know, I know," I muttered, adjusting the suit jacket. "It's just... she's different, you know?"

"Yeah, I get it," Matt said, his tone more serious now. "Just be smart about it, okay?"

"I will," I promised, trying to convince myself as much as him.

We continued trying on suits, the conversation shifting back to wedding plans and other lighthearted topics. But in the back of my mind, all I could think about was Rebecca. How her eyes lit up when she smiled, how her laugh made my heart race, and how much I wanted to be with her.