Chapter 24: A House of Chaos

Third Person:

As the days passed, the tension at home seemed to escalate with each passing moment. Rebecca's parents were at each other's throats more than ever, their arguments echoing through the house and causing a strain on everyone's nerves. Even her younger siblings, usually unfazed by their parents' squabbles, were starting to show signs of weariness.

Rebecca couldn't bear the thought of having Mr. Montgomery come to her house and witness the turmoil within its walls. Their once proud home now lay in disarray, the garden overgrown and neglected, the interior cluttered and chaotic. The tap water was undrinkable, forcing them to rely on water dispensers for their daily needs.

When she went to take a shower, the water sputtered and died, leaving her standing under a trickle of cold water. With a resigned sigh, she filled a bucket from the dispenser and quickly washed herself, a skill she had mastered long ago in this tumultuous household.

As the day of tutoring approached, Rebecca found herself counting down the hours until she could escape the chaos of her home. The prospect of spending time in Mr. Montgomery's clean, orderly house was a welcome relief, a brief respite from the madness that awaited her each day.

She buried herself in her studies, determined to make the most of their upcoming session. With each page she turned, she felt a sense of control and purpose, a way to counterbalance the instability that surrounded her.

As the sun set on the eve of their meeting, Rebecca's heart swelled with gratitude that Mr. Montgomery didn't have to experience the chaos of her home firsthand. She couldn't wait for the tutoring session the next day, eager for the chance to escape the madness and find solace in the quiet, orderly world that awaited her at his house.