Chapter Forty Two

[My Way Back To You]

AUTUMN'S POV

The other side felt timeless. Everything around me continued to move forward while I was stuck in the past. Years went by fast, but I didn't feel them.

Being dead feels like a fever dream. You watch people live their life to the fullest while you never will. And it was too hard for me. I stopped looking over my family and friends for a few years now.

The last time I checked on Jo, she was in medical school while my siblings grew into preteens. Then there was Joel and watching him out of everyone was the hardest for me.

Joel suffered the most losing us than anyone else; he even blamed himself for not being there when I was killed.

Jo left immediately after the merge was over; she wanted nothing to do with the coven anymore.

She even changed her last name to her mother's for a fresh start, which crushed Joel. Jo only left him a note as a goodbye, and the look on Joel's face ruined me. He lost everyone he loved in one day.

After five years, Joel got married and even had a kid, but his marriage went sideways after that, and he got divorced. He couldn't let us go, which ultimately ruined his life.

From there, I stopped checking in on Joel and never checked on anyone else, though witches talk on the other side, and I found out Dean became coven leader shortly after killing me.

My biological father had no choice but to give it to him. He fell ill and couldn't lead anymore. I never knew what happened to him after that. . .if he passed, I wouldn't know. I barely see anyone here.

However, one of the good things about being a witch on the other side is being able to communicate with other dead witches. It wasn't often, but we witches can communicate if we long for it hard enough.

That's how I found out a couple of things about resurrection. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't impossible.

Over the years, I roamed around, asking witches for help. Most denied me, angry with me after all the trouble I had caused alive.

I almost gave up once, but something odd happened.

I was walking down the street, upset, when suddenly, I bumped into someone from the living. At first, I didn't believe it until I bumped into a second person who shouted at me for not saying excuse me.

Flashback to 2011 ~

Did that person just see me? No, this can't be real, can it?

After I adjusted my eyes to my surroundings, everything looked different. The blue tint around me dimmed until it was entirely gone. The world looked real to me, and that's when I felt it.