~Chapter 10: Avoidance- Jayson's POV~

December has arrived, and we had a year-end party in 2022. Most of us attended and brought food. They played various parlor games. I didn't join because I knew I'd get tired quickly and might feel dizzy again, like before. I looked at Luke and noticed that he was enjoying himself. But I sensed that he was avoiding me.

"I'll head home first," I told one of my classmates.

"What about your gift?" she asked.

Oh right, we still had an exchange gift. I didn't expect that I'd be giving a gift to Luke. I approached him and handed over my gift, which contained some clothes. Luckily, they were men's clothes, as I might draw a male name.

"Th-thank you," he said.

Someone also gave me a gift, and I thanked them. In truth, I didn't enjoy the party much because I felt shy playing games with others and was feeling warm.

*****

The new year finally came, and school is about to start. I didn't do much on New Year's Eve except sleep, while my siblings and Kathy enjoyed the celebration.

When I entered our classroom on the first day of school, I noticed that Luke was there early, and he briefly glanced at me. I sat down, took out my notebooks and notes for review since our first-semester exams were coming up.

"Jayson!" Kathy shouted from outside the classroom.

"Kathy?"

What was she doing outside? Did she have something to say?

I went out and asked her if she needed to tell me something.

"What time will your exams end?" she asked.

"I don't even know the exact time," I replied.

She said she'd go back to her classroom, and I returned to my seat. A few minutes later, our adviser entered, holding the examination papers. She rearranged the seats to prevent cheating during the exams.

After a while, our adviser instructed us to hide all our notebooks and pass our cellphones to the front to prevent cheating. Once we'd done that, we began our exams.

*****

Finally, our exams for the day are over, and our adviser mentioned that we'd continue with exams for other subjects tomorrow. I looked at Luke, and I caught him glancing at me. But when he noticed I saw him, he quickly looked away.

A few minutes later, Kathy arrived.

"Jayson! If you want, let's go to Baguio?"

"Baguio? But I need to go home soon because I still have to buy medicine," I replied.

"Okay, let's buy the medicine first, then we can visit your house. I also want to see grandma," she said.

As we walked out of the school campus, I noticed Luke standing as if waiting for someone. I approached him and asked,

"Luke, are you waiting for someone?"

"Luke? Hey, Luke," I said.

He raised an eyebrow, deliberately ignoring my call.

"Are you waiting for someone?" I asked again.

"Vi-Vincent," he replied.

I noticed he avoided looking at me and kept his gaze elsewhere. I decided not to prolong the conversation and bid him goodbye, saying I'd head home first.

As Kathy and I walked towards Acop, she said,

"I've already noticed it earlier when you talked to him, Jay."