chapter 22

Shubman and Ishan returned to the practice field with their team. The initial awkwardness of revealing their marriage had faded, and the team treated them with the same camaraderie as before. They kept their professional relationship intact during practice, focusing on improving their skills.

One evening after a grueling session, they both stayed back for extra practice. As the sun set, painting the sky with shades of orange and pink, Shubman glanced at Ishan, sweat glistening on his forehead.

"Good job today," Shubman said, handing Ishan a bottle of water.

Ishan took it with a nod, his eyes softening. "You too."

That night, back at their apartment, they shared a quiet dinner. Shubman had ordered their favorite takeout as a small gesture. They ate in comfortable silence, the bond between them strengthening.

During the second week, Shubman continued to show his commitment. He supported Ishan during drills, always offering encouragement. One day, while practicing catches, Ishan stumbled. Shubman was quick to catch him.

"Careful," Shubman said, concern evident in his eyes.

Ishan gave a small smile. "Thanks."

At home, Shubman made an effort to be there for Ishan in small ways. He made sure the fridge was stocked with Ishan's favorite snacks and even tried cooking his favorite meals, despite his limited culinary skills. Ishan appreciated the efforts, even if he didn't always show it openly.

One night, after a particularly tough day, they sat on the balcony, enjoying the cool breeze. Shubman reached out, taking Ishan's hand in his.

"Everything will be fine," Shubman whispered.

Ishan squeezed his hand in response, a silent acknowledgment of the effort Shubman was making.

By the third week, their relationship had started to settle into a more comfortable routine. One morning, they were both getting ready for practice. Shubman noticed Ishan struggling to reach something on a high shelf in the kitchen.

"Need help?" Shubman asked, stepping closer.

Ishan hesitated for a moment before nodding. "Yeah, thanks."

Shubman retrieved the item and handed it to Ishan, their fingers brushing slightly. There was a moment of shared warmth, a silent understanding passing between them.

During practice, Shubman and Ishan continued to work seamlessly together. The team noticed their improved coordination and commented on it.

"Looks like married life suits you guys," Rohit teased with a grin.

Hardik added, "Yeah, just don’t bring your domestic arguments to the field."

The team laughed, and Ishan managed a small smile, feeling the camaraderie easing his worries.

Later that evening, they decided to watch a movie together. As they sat on the couch, Shubman reached out and took Ishan's hand. Ishan looked at him, surprised, but didn't pull away.

"It's nice, just relaxing like this," Shubman said softly.

Ishan nodded, leaning his head on Shubman's shoulder. "Yeah, it is."

The fourth week brought them closer than ever. One evening, after a long practice, they decided to take a walk in a nearby park. The cool air was refreshing after a hot day on the field.

As they walked, Shubman casually slipped his arm around Ishan's shoulder. Ishan stiffened for a moment, then relaxed into the touch.

"You know," Shubman said, "this reminds me of our early days. When things were simpler."

Ishan nodded, leaning into Shubman slightly. "Yeah. I miss those days sometimes."

Shubman stopped walking and turned to face Ishan. "We can make new memories, better ones."

Ishan's eyes met Shubman's, a mix of hope and uncertainty. "Maybe we can."

That night, as they lay in bed, Ishan turned to Shubman. "Thank you...for trying."

Shubman smiled, his heart swelling with affection. "Always."

Though the journey ahead was still long, both of them knew they were on the right path, together.

After a long and exhausting day on the field, the sun began to dip below the horizon, casting a warm, golden glow over the practice ground. The team was wrapping up, and the air was filled with the familiar sounds of camaraderie and banter.

Ishan, however, was not feeling his best. A dull headache throbbed behind his temples, and his limbs felt unusually heavy.Determined not to show any weakness, Ishan forced a smile as he joined the others.

Shubman, ever observant, noticed the slight sag in Ishan's shoulders and the faint pallor on his face. As they headed towards the locker room, Shubman kept a close eye on him.
"Good practice today," Hardik commented, slapping Ishan on the back.Ishan winced slightly but quickly masked it with a grin. "Yeah, it was. Feeling pumped for the next match."
Shubman, who was walking beside him, frowned. "Ishan, tum theek lag nahi rahe ho. Kuch problem hai kya?"Ishan shook his head, brushing off Shubman's concern.
"Nahi, bas thoda thak gaya hoon. Practice was intense."

Despite Ishan's reassurance, Shubman wasn't convinced. As they changed out of their practice gear, he kept glancing at Ishan, who was moving slower than usual. The headache was getting worse, and Ishan felt a wave of nausea hit him.

As they walked out to the parking lot, Shubman noticed Ishan's steps faltering. He gently grabbed Ishan's arm, stopping him. "Ishan, sach batao. Tum thik ho?"Ishan tried to pull away, but his strength was fading.
"Maine kaha na, main theek hu."Shubman didn't let go.

"Ishan, don't lie to me. I can see you're not okay."Ishan sighed, finally giving in. "Fine. Mujhe thoda headache ho raha hai. But it's nothing serious."Shubman’s eyes softened with concern. "Tumhe aise hi chhod nahi sakta. Chalo, I'll drive."

Ishan wanted to protest but realized he didn't have the energy. He nodded reluctantly. "Okay, fine."

During the drive home, Shubman kept glancing at Ishan, who had his eyes closed, leaning back in the seat. The tension in his face was evident.When they reached home, Shubman helped Ishan out of the car and into the apartment.

"Tum sidhe bed pe jao. Main kuch medicine lekar aata hoon."Ishan didn’t argue. He collapsed onto the bed, his head pounding. A few minutes later, Shubman returned with a glass of water and some painkillers.

"Yeh lo. This should help."Ishan took the pills gratefully.
"Thanks, Shub. Sorry, didn't mean to worry you."
Shubman sat beside him, gently brushing Ishan's hair away from his forehead. "It's okay, Ish. Just rest. I’m here."

_____________________________________
Here y'all go
Tell me if you like it
Vote and comment
Bye byee