Chapter 2-5: Rudimentary in the Extreme

In the interior of the Dwarf's Mine, the Equestrian Club are searching for magestones. Soon, Sereia and Trinket, walk and fly in the fairy's case in to check on the others.

Sereia calls out, "Hello."

Silver and Riddle turn to see Sereia and Trinket walking into the cave.

"Hi guys," Sereia says.

Even Trinket says hello.

"Ah, the record keepers. Are you checking up on our progress?" Silver asks.

"That's correct," Sereia says, "How's the searching going so far?"

"Well, swinging our pickaxes at random won't turn up much. Especially since this mine's been closed for a while. So we're going over what we know about magestones first," Silver says.

"That makes sense," Sereia says.

Soon, Riddle asks, "Do any of you know how to locate magestones and mine them?"

"We learned about this in class. Of course I remember it!" Sebek answers, In general terms, magestones are gemstones that have been transformed by absorbing ambient magical power. You locate them by tracking the faint traces of magic they emit. However, doing so requires incredible focus. Typically trained professionals search for them. Since we're untrained, our detection radius is 10 meters at most. Nonetheless, it's better than digging around arbitrarily. Checking every centimeter of this vast tunnel would be a fool's errand. Once we've identified a general location, we can commence digging. We'll start by using the pickaxes to chip off the wall's weathered, brittle outer layer. Then we'll use hammers and chisels to remove the magestone from its rocky encasement. THAT IS ALL!"

Sereia and Trinket end up getting startled by the outburst.

Then Riddle says, "Excellent overview, Sebek. You certainly paid close attention in class."

"Heh. I suppose there are worse things than receiving a compliment from the head of the sophomore class. I accept your words of praise," Sebek says.

And then Silver responds, "Wow, Sebek. I have to hand it to you. You always do so well in class. I should take a leaf from your book."

"Please, Silver. If I graced you with a leaf from my book you'd probably just fall asleep on it. These facts are rudimentary in the extreme," Sebek says.

"I believe I remember being told about it in class. Plus, this wasn't really the first time I've gone to search for magestones in this cave," Serai says.

Then Riddle says, "Well, we've finished our review. Let's get to work and find a magestone."

"Can I find some too?" Sereia asks.

"Of course, but remember to be careful," Riddle says.

Sereia nods her head in response.

The group then begins to search for magestones as Sereai and Trinket watch.

And soon, Sebek finds one, and expresses his accomplishment, "I'VE FOUND ONE!" loudly.

Riddle and Sereia react, "HRK!"

"You scared me!" Sereia yelps, "You need to keep your voice down in the cave."

"Why are you complaining? I've found a fragment! Look!" Sebek says, and presents the stone.

"Well, it's not a big stone, but it's a good fine," Sereia says.

"Nonetheless, it meets the size requirements! That takes care of our task," Sebek says.

"That's good," Sereia says, and presents a magestone herself, "I managed to find one too."

Sebek nods her head, despite being silent, he is glad Sereia has found one.

But then Silver says, "I wouldn't celebrate just yet..."

Sebek smirks, "Hah. Is that the cry of a sore loser I hear?" but suddenly, he notices something, " ...Wait. Something's approaching."

"Ready yourself," Silver says.

"I'm always ready!" Sebek says.

Sereia and Trinket along with Riddle look to see something flying towards them with bright lights. They soon begin to attack them. Soon, it is revealed to be fire fairies.

"Fairies?!" Sereia says, surprise.

"All the way down here?" Sebek questions, shocked, "They appeared out of nowhere the moment I laid claim to this magestone..." Then a thought comes to his mind, "Wait, do they want the stone?"

And continues to attack.

"I think you might be onto something. I don't understand what they're saying, but I can sense their hostility," Riddle says.

Trinket quickly nods in agreement as she tinks.

"I think Trinket says you're right about them looking angry," Sereia says.

Sebek scoffs, "Hmph. Fae though they may be... Do these miniscule mine-dwellers truly think themselves a match for those of us who trained in Briar Valley? I found this magestone, and I won't allow anyone to pilfer it. Silver, let us drive these fairies away!"

"I don't see any better options. Let's chase them off before someone gets hurt," Silver says.