Chapter 5-10: Just Call It Quits

The group is able to trap the monster into the swamp and use any attack they have on it. However, the monster is proven to be more difficult than they thought.

"This can't be happening... Our attacks aren't doing anything!" Ruggie says, shocked.

Sebek struggles, "Ugh... If I use any more magic... I think I might retch..."

But Jack panics, "Stop, Sebek! Just call it quits!"

"This thing doesn't even flinch when I hit it!" Floyd says.

"Argh... Seriously, what's its DEAL? This thing's gonna be the death of me, and I don't even know what it is!" Ruggie says.

"What will we do now?" Sereia asks.

Suddenly, the sun begins to rise up into the sky, brightening up the swamp.

Ruggie is the first to notice, "...Hey, wait a minute. The sun's coming up. Now we can actually get a look at this thing."

However, Floyd begins to notice something odd about the monster, "Is that...a person?"

"I think you're right... the monster... looks like a man... in a costume," Sereia says, shocked.

Then Sebek says, "And not just any man..."

Indeed in the swamp, it shows that the monster isn't a monster at all, but a man in a dark brownish and black costume, and it's not just any man.

The five are shocked to see that it's, "COACH VARGAS?!"

In his monster costume, Vargas laughs with a big grin on his face, "HAAA HAH HAH HAH! I'm guessing from your reactions you had no clue it was me? Despite your fears, you mustered up the courage to face your foe... And all along it was..." And removes his mask, "ME! Your mightily muscled coach!"

The five exclaim in shock, "BWHAAA?!"

"We thought the monster attacked you!" Floyd says, stunned.

"This is all very bewildering," Sebek says.

"I'll tell you the whole story back at camp," Vargas says, "Let's go, boys! Little Lady! Follow me!"

With no other choice, Sereia and the boys follow Vargas back to camp.

When they return, they see that the campers, including Briar and her group are back, safe and sound.

Grim happily calls out, "Hey! Team Ruggie's back!"

Ruggie is flabbergasted, "Grim! Briar!"

"Huh? The twin catfish and the little plankton too?" Floyd adds, shocked.

It's revealed that everyone from the camper is okay, and hasn't done much harm at all.

"The other missing campers are here too... You're all okay?!" Ruggie responds, dumbfounded.

"When I came to, I found myself tied to a tree in the woods," Jamil says.

"Likewise," Riddle says, "I suddenly felt faint, then the next thing I knew, I was in the forest. The ghosts just now untied our ropes."

"When the others came too, they also discovered that Sereia wasn't with them anymore," Briar says. "You guys weren't there either."

Epel then asks, "Where were you guys, Ruggie? And what exactly happened?"

"I don't really know myself," Ruggie answers.

"We're all just as confused," Sereia says.

Soon, Vargas arrives, "Looks like everyone's here!"

"Vargas?!" Grim questions, shocked.

"You're okay?" Tanzanite asks.

"And what are you wearing?" Jasper asks.

"I'm sure some of you are confused, so allow me to explain," Vargas says.

And he explains, "You've just completed the final challenge of Camp Vargas! The topic of your final challenge—combat! The challenge was to keep calm and flex your minds and muscles in the face of an unknown threat. Your friends go missing! Your dependable teacher is gone! A powerful foe is hunting you! I gauged how you handled being thrown into crisis.

And that was your true assignment."

Hearing it, Ruggie cries out, "Wait a minute, back up!"

"So you were the one who took Ace and the others?" Jamil asks.

"That's right!" Vargas answers, "I deemed that any students who skipped out on assignments weren't worthy of the final challenge. And so I gave them educational guidance instead! It would be inexcusable to waste an opportunity to improve their muscles. So I stuck them in a cabin and made them do nonstop squats under a ghost's supervision. Don't worry. They'll be back any minute now."

"Man, seriously? So Crabby really was skippin' out on work?" Floyd questions, annoyed.

Ruggie sighs, "Geez, Leona... Way to scare me over nothin'."

"I'm now ready to announce the results of your final challenge. And per my assessment..." Vargas says and everyone waits for the result.

And soon, Vargas announces, "YOU PASS! With a big smile, "It's impressive that despite going up against ME, you managed to avoid total annihilation all the way until sunrise. That goes double for Bucchi, Leech, Zigvolt, and Howl, and even young Sereia. You five are our MVPs. You might even get close to my level soon! Let's give them a big round of applause!"

"I have no idea how I'm supposed to feel about this. So...I guess I might as well enjoy it? ALL RIGHT!" Ruggie happily says.

Everyone soon claps and cheers, "WOO HOO! WAY TO GO!"