Chapter 19: Race With The Demon

To say that Casey is burning with rage would be an understatement. He's absolutely and utterly consumed with fury and it's all because of Speed Demon. Casey was angry when he got run off the road on the way back from the grocery store. He was even more infuriated when Speed Demon wrecked his first draft of the Turtle Racer.

Now, that mutant has stolen Donatello and even Casey is shocked at how much he wants to bash that car's grill in for doing such a thing. He's never been a huge fan of Donatello, hell, Casey gets along better with Diaval than he does with Donatello—most of the time. Somehow, amongst their love-hate relationship, it seems that Casey Jones has come to appreciate Donatello on a new level, one that urges him to chase down a fuelled maniac in order to get him back.

"How far is he, doc?" Casey asks as he follows Speed Demon.

Dr. Cluckingsworth clucks and pecks out a new message. The keypad at the front of the car blinks warningly, showing how much distance there is between the two racers.

Casey grins and flexes his fingers against the steering wheel. "Time to see what this baby can really do."

He steps on the gas, driving up right behind Speed Demon and ramming into its bumper. The Donatello lookalike swings its head around to stare down at the boy.

"You again?!" it roars.

He spurs his car into the bumper once more, but it only laughs as it pulls back and rides beside him. It swipes at the teen but he dodges, the Turtle Racer bumping along the steep cliff drop on his left side.

"Let my friend go, freak!" Casey demands. He eyes the drop beside him. "Or I'll take us both down!"

Speed Demon roars ahead, cackling madly. "Never gonna happen, Casey Jones! Donatello belongs to Speed Demon now, baby!"

Its laugh keeps ringing. Casey growls, stepping on the gas and jerking the wheel to the right. One of his front wheels hits the purple sports car and they both go pinwheeling around and around, skidding towards the edge of a cliff. Both cars jolt to a stop right on the edge, Casey letting out a short yelp as the deafening lack of the engines purring settles over them.

Speed Demon eyes the teen, looking mildly impressed. "You know, I'm a sporting guy, so how 'bout we race for it? You win, you get your friend back. I win, I get your super hot rod and all that sa-weet technology!" it bargains.

"Fair enough," Casey says, his face set in a hard scowl.

"And I get you, Casey Jones! The only driver worthy of my competition."

"Well, I am super dope." He looks to Dr. Cluckingsworth. She clucks. "It's a deal!"

"First one to Dead Man's Curve wins," Speed Demon says, pointing a gnarled finger towards a faraway peak. "Starting...now!"

Speed Demon's tires screech as it takes off. Casey takes off after it, the idea of victory reeling in his brain and making his fingertips tingle. Behind the racers, the hippie van arrives and continues along the winding highway at a much more legal speed.

"Dudes, we need some faster wheels!" Michelangelo shouts.

"What are they doing?" Leonardo asks.