Chapter 21: Turducken

Back in the barn, Donatello nearly sweats with concentration as he fiddles with his makeshift device. April frowns, her hands resting in her lap.

"Um, I don't think it's working, Donnie," she says slowly.

"Hmm," he mumbles. "Hey, maybe if I make some adjustments..."

He twists the knob, tuning it sharply. The whirring grows louder and more high-pitched. Electricity buzzes for a moment and there's the loud sound of cracking shockwaves. April screams as a bright light emits from her forehead, whiting out the entire barn for a second.

Michelangelo lets out a yelp of surprise as Dr. Cluckingsworth clucks in fright. When the light dies down, Donatello lets out a small grunt of frustration before noticing just what's happening. Every one of his flash cards, plus Dr. Cluckingsworth, floats in the air as April stares straight ahead, her eyes completely white.

"I didn't do that, I swear," Michelangelo says immediately, holding up his hands defensively.

"Wow, that means..." Donatello turns to his red-headed friend. "April, you are telekinetically levitating the cards!" He moves closer to her as she remains silent. "April? April, you okay? Can you hear me?"

He waves a hand in front of her face. The cards and chicken drop suddenly as she blinks. Dr. Cluckingsworth starts making furious and surprised chicken noises once she hits the ground. April stands, holding her arms out in front of her like a zombie.

"Wh-what happened to the barn? Where are we?" she asks, touching Michelangelo's face as she stumbles around.

"Uh, still in the barn," Donatello responds as her hands travel across his face.

She turns and walks straight into a wall, letting out a yelp of surprise. She prods the wood. "What is this? Is it invisible?" she questions.

"Uh, looks pretty visible to me," Michelangelo comments.

"April, where do you think you are?" Donatello asks gently as he takes her hands and angles her towards him. "What do you see?"

She opens her eyes wider as her lips part. "Clouds. I...I think I'm flying."

"Totally understand. I get that way when I eat pizza," Michelangelo says. A lazy smile drifts across his face at the thought of his favourite food.

"You're seeing things. I'm taking this off," Donatello says, removing the transmitter from April's head. "Did that help?"

She frowns, her eyes still white. "I'm still in the air...soaring, but now I'm heading down."

The turtle brothers look at each other, confusion and worry painted on their faces.

----------

"Stupid leg," Leonardo grumbles as he rubs his kneecap. "I'm never gonna heal."

Casey and Raphael stop sparring, weapons crossed between them. Casey leans closer to his friend as he glances at the blue-masked turtle.

"Dude, I'm worried about Leo," Casey admits softly, shifting his feet to the left.

"Yeah, man," Raphael responds at the same volume. "I've never seen him so down."