Chapter 37: Mutual Understanding

"Donnie," Destiny whispers, motioning him to her side. Her fluffy ears are perked, eyes squinted, her body poised just over the edge of the building.

"What is it?" Donatello asks as the other turtles gather in and try to find where she's looking.

"Use your goggles. Check over there." She points to a shadowy spot on the ground.

The intelligent turtle lowers his goggles, spinning them and focusing them. He catches sight of Karai just as she slithers across the street, avoiding the Kraang droids that wander around below.

"What's it look like, Donnie?" Raphael asks.

"She's moving fast. We've gotta get down there," Donatello responds.

"There are Kraang droids everywhere," Destiny whispers with a hint of venom in her tone.

"Keep it stealthy, my ninjas," Michelangelo murmurs with a wink.

"Let's do this," Leonardo orders.

They descend the side of the building, slipping behind abandoned dumpsters and observing the surroundings before they sneak across the street, avoiding the sights of the Kraang. They work like a well-oiled machine, aware of everything and everyone around them at all times. Leonardo, Donatello, and Raphael slip behind a pair of Kraang, making them turn around just before Michelangelo and Destiny can get past. They slip back into hiding.

Donatello turns back once he's safely hidden next to Leonardo, only then noticing the absence of his teammates. "Oh no," he whispers.

"Where's Mikey?" Raphael asks as he drops down behind the blue and purple-masked turtles, sounding almost panicked.

"I'm right here," Michelangelo says as he pops up and smacks his brother's shell. Raphael nearly jumps out of his skin. "You guys are so slow!"

"What about Des?" Leonardo asks, the annoyance lines wiping clear of his face for a moment.

"Already scouting," she says from behind them. They spin around to see her a couple of feet away, waiting for them. "Nice to know you care, Leonardo," she adds, deadpan.

He sniffs indignantly and looks away. "Just checking."

She manages a tiny smile, but hides it in a heartbeat. "Right. Anyways, Karai went this way." She jerks her thumb over her shoulder at the building behind them. "She's in that warehouse."

Destiny turns and moves at a brisk pace to the building, skipping through a broken window. The turtles follow her, emerging into a darkened space riddled with dust and the faint smell of stale wood.

"Alright, guys, let's split up and find her," Leonardo orders as they stare at everything. He cups his hands around his mouth as he starts his own search. "Karai? Are you here? It's us!"

They separate, climbing stairs, checking behind boxes, calling Karai's name. Destiny sniffs the air as she leans against one of the old crates. The smell of snake is still potent, invading her senses and making her feel a little bit queasy. She can't even pick out a direct trail amongst the lingering scents of the turtles and the warehouse.

"Karai, come out! Where are you?" Raphael shouts from somewhere to her left.

"We're not gonna hurt you, Karai. We wanna help," Michelangelo adds.