Chapter 3: Attack

"Raph! Raph!" Michelangelo calls. He sighs heavily. "I don't know, D. You think he got lost? Maybe he got eaten by a rabid squirrel."

Diaval grips his bow tighter. "Those exist?"

"I do not think that, no," Donatello replies curtly, ignoring Diaval. He exhales, the sound rumbling in his throat and showing his frustration. "I'm just freaking because Casey and April went off on their own. Alone."

"They aren't alone, dude," Michelangelo laughs. "Desti-bear is with them."

"I know...but—" The purple-masked turtle turns around to face his younger brother and reluctant ally. "What happens when two teenagers who like each other go out into the woods alone?"

They ponder the question. Diaval blinks a few times, fiddling with his ponytail as he makes a low humming noise. Michelangelo swivels in place, his flashlight beam falling on two squirrels about to kiss. The fluffy rodents look his way and he screams.

"AAH! They get eaten by squirrels!" he exclaims as he grips his flashlight to his chest, casting light over his freckled face.

Diaval purses his lips. "They...get lost?"

Michelangelo gasps. "Oh! Dude! That's it! They didn't bring a compass!"

"D'you think Destiny could sniff 'em back home?" Diaval wonders.

Donatello lets out a long, whining sound, then gives his companions an incredulous look. They stare back at him, confused to say the least. He throws his hands up, the lantern in his grip rattling, and turns back around.

"You know what? Forget I said anything."

They keep walking, skirting around a large clump of trees and aiming their lights at every angle, but they still find nothing. Then, Donatello gasps as he catches sight of a shed sitting in a clearing. The wooden walls are covered in moss and the hinges on the old door are rusted. Whenever a wind blows, the door creaks as it swings open and shut, back and forth.

"Hello," Donatello mumbles. "What's this?"

"Let's check it out," Michelangelo says, taking a step forward. He stops to pat his brother on the shoulder. "You first."

"Mhm," Diaval agrees, eyeing the house warily.

Donatello leads the trio to the door and reaches his hand out, pushing it open. His lantern beam swings around the room, casting eerie shadows over the walls and floors. The only light already in the shed is that of four small candles.

"Hello?" he calls.

Nothing. They move in, Donatello catching sight of a table at the farthest end. He goes closer as Michelangelo and Diaval stay behind. The intelligent turtle stares down at the table, where candle surround Leonardo's bottle of medicine. Donatello ponders this.

Something grabs his shoulder and he lets out a high-pitched yelp before Michelangelo's hand clamps over his mouth. Donatello's russet eyes dart to the side, where Diaval has his bow armed and aimed at the floor. Michelangelo points to a teeming green mass huddled on the ground and gulps. Donatello readies his bō staff.

"Uh, hello?" Michelangelo squeaks, hiding behind his tall brother.

The thing looks up, growling, and the turtles scream as it gets up and moves towards them. Hardly hesitating, Michelangelo snatches Diaval and books it from the shed with Donatello in the lead, both turtles still screaming while Diaval stares straight ahead in mild terror. The boys get outside and the creature bursts forth from the door, but is quickly halted by a harness of vines that serve to stop the strange plant creature's advance.