Chapter 61: The Healer Within

Kirby fidgets in place as Donatello steps back from April for the umpteenth time. The redhead leans closer to the turtle, his eyes wide.

"Any luck, Donatello? Anything?" he asks.

Donatello shakes his head. Both of them slump, defeated, and Kirby reaches out to take April's hand. The laboratory door slides open and Leonardo looks up. Diaval steps out of the opening, allowing Master Splinter to enter as well. He moves along at a hobbling gait even with his staff in hand, Diaval lingering at his side.

"Sensei, what are you doing? You should still be resting," Leonardo scolds, his face immediately flooding with worry as he rushes to them. "Diaval, you were supposed to help—"

"Got something t'help April," Diaval interrupts. He looks over at Splinter. "Right, Sensei?"

Splinter nods and pulls a bound scroll from his kimono. "April is in grave danger, but I believe that this will help her." He unrolls the scroll, revealing Japanese calligraphy. "It is an ancient poison-draining mantra."

Leonardo's phone rings. He nods curtly to the taller men before him as he slips the device from his belt and checks it. Raphael's caller ID lights up the screen. He answers and puts it to his ear.

"Raph? Where are you?" he asks. There's silence and his hand tightens. "Raph?"

"Hello, Leonardo. Your brothers are right here...with me," says a smooth, feminine voice.

His heart clenches and for a moment, he can hardly speak. It can't be... "Karai? Is...is that you?" he asks.

"Though, they don't appear to be in the best of health," Karai continues. "I'm afraid that if you and Donatello don't come soon, then Raphael, Michelangelo, and Casey Jones will all expire." She whispers the last word very closely into the receiver, sending a shiver up his spine. "Oh, and if Destiny gets back to you, bring her along. She managed to escape." Karai pauses, as if waiting for a reaction, and when none comes she continues, "Come to the old abandoned Greenwich street station. I'll be waiting."

She hangs up. Leonardo shakes the phone, his eyes widening. "Karai? Karai!"

Diaval moves closer to Leonardo. His eyebrows furrow. "Is Karai okay? What happened?"

"She's not getting any better!" Kirby shouts. Both boys turn to find him glaring daggers at Donatello. "I brought her here because I thought you could save her!"

"Calm down, you two," Leonardo orders. "We have another problem."

"There is no other problem. April is the only thing you should be worried about!" Kirby exclaims.

"I'm doing my best, Mr. O'Neil," Donatello says. There's sweat beaded on his forehead, the stress of the situation getting to him.

"Silence! All of you!" Splinter barks. He hobbles to the table, his wise gaze sweeping over the others. "If I can focus, I may be able to get the poison out of her system."

"Kirby, Diaval, stay here. Help Master Splinter with whatever he needs," Leonardo says. He motions to Donatello. "Come on, Donnie. You're with me."

"Wait," Diaval says, reaching out to the brothers. "You said Karai. If she's in trouble—"

Leonardo shakes his head. "Karai isn't in trouble, Diaval. She..." He purses his lips. "She is the trouble. It's better for you to stay out of it."

"But—"

"Let's move, Donnie. No time to lose."

"Leo, can you please explain what's going on?" Donatello asks.