V2 - Chapter 10: Vow

Naoe had an unexpected meeting. The boss had informed him that he had to meet up with Kijima to arrange a meeting to be held in the future with Koenji, Kanzaki, Kijima, and Naoe himself. Apparently, the boss was testing if Kijima would be willing to accept even something as mundane as this. Naoe had accepted. For now, he couldn't make a move against the boss, he had to wait and slowly gather allies.

A knock resounded on Naoe's door and he said "enter."

Kijima entered and greeted Naoe before sitting down. Naoe scratched his right hand, feeling a slight itch that's been present all day.

"So, shall we get down to business?" Kijima asked.

"Yes, I believe both of us wish to finish this promptly," Naoe said.

"Very well, we should finish this meeting before the end of the month, maybe May 30th perhaps?" Kijima offered.

"Let me look at my schedule," Naoe said, only covering formalities. "I'm free as well as Koenji and Kanzaki. Could it be that you were already aware of this?"

Kijima laughed and said "you got me, I wanted to display my value to the team."

"I'm sure the boss will be pleased. Let it be the 30th then."

"I should get going," Kijima got up and offered his hand.

Naoe got up and took it with his right hand. Then, Kijima left, leaving Naoe back to the directionless office.

Naoe scratched his right hand and groaned because it hurt slightly. It appeared he would have to get some anti-itch cream.

* * *

"Do you want to hear a story?" I asked.

She smiled and said with an extremely excited face "yes!"

"Once upon a time, there was a young boy in a white room. He never thought anything of the room, always viewing it as normal. The boy had two friends: a boy and a girl. The three of them were the best of friends. Nothing could destroy their friendship. Nothing.

"They remained friends. Always continuing even in the place they lived. A place so abnormal anyone normal would go insane. That place was a white room. The walls were white, the floors were white, the ceiling was, everything was white. Despite this strange environment, they always remained friends. They obtained great heights in the white room together. They were always praised for their efforts as they flew through everything. It seemed like nothing in the world could stop their progress. It seemed like nothing in the world could end their friendship. That is what all three believed.

"However, one day, something changed. The father of the leader of the trio began to behave strangely. The teachers were changed. The curriculum was changed. But, most importantly, his father began to distance himself from his son. The son was distraught by this. After all, he truly loved his father, but now, it seemed like his father didn't care. Despite this, the friends stayed together, persevering through it all.

"Then, the gleaning happened. The girl was eliminated by the gleaner. She was gone. And so, the trio broke. It was that moment that the three of them broke apart. Not by choice, but by force. The supposed unbreakable trio could not withstand such power. So, one left, one got angry, and the other closed themselves off.

"Eventually the friend left as well. Leaving the boy all alone. The boy was stripped of everything. He was rebuilt in some incomprehensible image. For what reason, the boy did not know. The only thing in him by the end was a desire for revenge against the gleaner, the smiling liar, and most importantly, his father for making it happen. So, he pretended to follow his father's orders. Until finally, the boy saw an opportunity of escape and enrolled in an elite school away from his father's grasp.