V1 - Chapter 1: First Day

Today was the 1st of April, the day of the entrance ceremony for Tokyo Metropolitan Advanced Nurturing High School, more commonly referred to as ANHS. ANHS was created with the express purpose of creating the future leaders of Japan. I was fortunate enough to be one of those students.

Currently, I am sitting on a bus headed to ANHS now. The low purring of the engine was hypnotic, and I felt myself yearning for a bit of sleep. A bit of sleep never hurts. I let the urge wash over me and shut my eyes. However, despite my wish I was rudely awakened by a commotion toward the front of the bus.

At the front of the bus where the priority seats were sat a young, well-built blond man wearing the ANHS uniform. He sat cross-legged, arms folded, with a grin on his face. The other person who was causing the commotion was an office lady with a perturbed expression donning her face. Next to the office lady was a small, frail old woman that looked like she could topple from the slightest bit of force. Considering the scene, it's probably an argument over the priority seat.

"Can't you see this woman is struggling to stand up?" The office lady spat, giving a look of pure contempt toward the young man.

"That's a preposterous question," the young boy started. "I can clearly see this old woman is struggling to stand up, but I fail to see what I have to do with it."

The office lady's anger converted to shock, the boy's audacious statement caused whispering to begin circling throughout the bus. Then she recovered and spat back "you're young and healthy, you don't need some seat to ride a bus. You should give your seat to this poor woman!" The office lady's voice rose approximately seven decibels in the last sentence. In fact, the sentence was so loud, that even the bus driver glanced at the situation using the mirror to see what happened.

The boy then broke out into boisterous laughter and said "while she is poor and old, I fail to see how that gives priority to her over me. She does nothing for society while I am a student who will be a future leader of this fine country. So shoo before you dampen my mood."

Now the office lady was shell shocked. After seventeen seconds, I could tell she gave up. Then another fifty three seconds passed, meaning that nobody else should join in at this point, which means that I can rest once more.

"Excuse me, but I think that she is right," an annoying voice rang out, dashing all my hopes away. The girl wore the ANHS uniform, had shortly cut beige hair, and a beaming smile that could be interpreted as friendly.

 The girl wore the ANHS uniform, had shortly cut beige hair, and a beaming smile that could be interpreted as friendly

"Ho?" The young boy opened his eyes for the first time and raised an eyebrow, looking deeply into the girl's face. "It seems like the opposite sex has it out for me today."

The young girl, displaying zero change in facial expression, asked "why won't you give up your seat, it can't be that big of a deal."

The young boy chuckled and said "it is quite a big deal. I always stick to my own code, that will not change for some useless member of society." The beige haired girl's smile lessened a little. "Why don't you ask somebody else, after all plenty of other people could easily offer up their seats."