First Study Session (Chapter 13)

As I opened the garage door, a faint tropical scent reminded me of past winters. The house felt quiet, Mum and Dad weren't back, and Aiden hadn't texted after saying he'd return from a friend's place.

Dark clouds loomed outside, rain splattering against my windshield. Normally, the kitchen would be cozy, filled with candles or soft music. 

I missed those moments—cupcakes, Aiden cheering during AFL games—memories that wrapped winter in warmth.

But something essential was missing. 

It wasn't just the absence of my family.

It was the warmth of a woman who made our house a home.

I stood in the silence, feeling the ache of missing her more than ever. 

With my mind racing, I pulled out my phone and texted Aiden, despite the annoyances of being a typical little brother. I just needed to know he was okay, especially with Mum and Dad away.

Me: You good?

little bro: Yea im fine

Me: When r u coming back?

little bro: dunno mb tmrw

Me: You said that yesterday

little bro: my mate needs me, I'll be back tmrw 

Me: alr fine

2 minutes later...

little bro: did mum text you?

Me: no
Me: this morning she called me though

little bro: kk then

little bro: cya, me and my mate heading out

Me: Don't get arressted, I don't have enough money to bail you
Me: And I'm not explaining to mum and dad. 

little bro: whatever

***************

I set my phone down and took a deep breath. It was just after four, and the sky outside was grey.

West and I hadn't set a specific time for our study session, so he could arrive any minute or not for hours. 

I needed to mentally prepare, so I opened his contact. Our last exchange was this morning, after the disaster.

Me: what time u gonna be here?

I sent the message, not expecting a quick reply—if I got one at all. 

I grabbed my bag and headed upstairs to my room, greeted by the usual mess. It was bad—really bad. Even West's room wasn't this dirty.

After dropping my bag, I decided cleaning was my best option. I stacked textbooks, organized papers, and straightened my bed. I hurried to put away the dirty laundry, and sprayed air freshener to mask the lingering pizza smell.

Reluctantly, I decided to freshen up. After a quick shower, I changed into comfy sweats and a plain t-shirt. 

I grabbed my phone and checked the message app, West had left me on "delivered." I still wanted to know if he was coming.

Ignoring that, I went to my mum's contact.

Me: Are you ok?

Mum didn't reply for a few minutes, where I thought about giving up and just getting back to what was happening here.