Sophie POV

Ro stopped suddenly, holding up a hand to signal silence. Sophie strained her ears, trying to catch whatever had alerted Ro. At first, there was nothing but the wind rustling through the leaves. Then, faint but unmistakable, she heard it, a voice. No, multiple voices.

Sophie's heart pounded as she exchanged a tense glance with Keefe. His hand brushed hers, a silent promise of support. Ro's posture was rigid, her grip on her weapon tightening. They were not alone.

"Neverseen," Ro whispered, confirming Sophie's worst fears. The infamous rebel group was nearby, and they didn't have much time.

"We need to act now," Keefe urged, his voice barely above a whisper.

Sophie nodded, feeling a surge of adrenaline. She could sense the malicious intent in the voices, growing louder as the Neverseen members approached. Her abilities, long dormant, flickered within her as if awakening from a deep sleep. (Quick author note: There has been some confusion about Sophie's abilities, she lost them when she was flung out of the dome :-) )

"Stay close," Sophie instructed, her voice steadier than she felt. They moved cautiously, hiding behind the thick foliage as the voices drew nearer. Sophie's mind raced, her telepathic abilities sparking to life. She focused, trying to catch the thoughts of their enemies.

The whispers of the Neverseen's thoughts flowed into her mind, disjointed but filled with hostility. She caught snippets of their plan an ambush, an attack. Sophie's breath hitched as the reality sank in. They were outnumbered and outmanoeuvred.

"They're planning an ambush," she conveyed telepathically to Ro and Keefe. "We need to split up, confuse them."

Ro's eyes flicked to Sophie, nodding in agreement. Keefe squeezed Sophie's hand one last time before they moved silently into position.

As the first Neverseen scout emerged from the shadows, Sophie felt a familiar energy surge through her. She was an Enhancer, able to boost the abilities of those around her. She locked eyes with Keefe, willing him strength. His posture straightened, his resolve hardening as he prepared for the fight.

Ro struck first, her weapon slicing through the air with precision. The scout crumpled, but the noise alerted the others and the forest erupted into chaos. Sophie's heart raced as more Neverseen members charged toward them.

Keefe moved like a blur. He dodged and weaved through the attackers, Sophie's senses were on overdrive, her telepathic connection with her friends keeping them coordinated amidst the fray.

In the heat of the battle, Sophie heard commands in multiple languages. Her Polyglot ability kicked in, allowing her to understand and counter the Neverseen's strategies. She shouted warnings about the trolls to Ro and Keefe, guiding them away from thrashing trolls and dwarfs.

As the fight intensified, Sophie felt a dark power rise within her. The Inflictor ability, a dangerous, powerful gift. She hesitated, the weight of its potential consequences heavy on her mind. But when she saw Keefe falter, surrounded by three enemies, she knew she had no choice.

With a fierce concentration, Sophie unleashed her Inflictor power. Pain and fear radiated from her, directed at the Neverseen attackers. They screamed, clutching their heads, and their hearts dropping their weapons. Keefe took the opportunity to strike, incapacitating one of them swiftly.

Just as another wave of enemies approached, Sophie felt a final ability awaken Teleportation. She grabbed Keefe and Ro, and ran, faster and faster until the void split open and they slipped inside. The world blurred around them, and in an instant, they were gone, reappearing on a distant hill overlooking the battlefield.

They collapsed, breathless but alive. The Neverseen were left behind, confused and disoriented. Sophie's heart pounded in her chest, the rush of power and relief mingling within her.

Keefe pulled her into a tight embrace. "We did it, Foster. You did it."

Sophie nodded, the enormity of their escape sinking in. They had survived. They had won. For now.