27. Overheard lies.

K R I S H A V'S   P O V

As we stand there enjoying our ice cream, I can't take my eyes off her face. The way her eyes twinkle with delight as she eats is mesmerizing. She looks like a baby—my baby. I smile, adoring her. 

While her focus is on her ice cream, mine is on my 'brownie'. 

Shrey once told me she loves chocolate ice cream, and I can see it now, in the way she savors every bite. She looks like a strawberry ice cream herself, sweet and irresistible.

But my smile fades as I remember why I couldn't pick her up today. The argument with my parents over my future still echoes in my mind. 

They want me to go abroad to expand our business, especially my mother, who insists I need to reduce my father's workload.

 I understand it's my responsibility, but how can I leave when my heart is here?

I glance at Jeeva, now talking to Dev and Aditi. They're laughing and chatting, and I'm just standing here, silently admiring her. 

Her smile, her eyes, her nose, the way her dimples appear when she genuinely smiles, and the melody of her laugh—all these things have become essential to my happiness. How will I survive without these in a foreign land? 

For the first time, I feel emotions I never knew existed—love and care, so deep and consuming.

I know she doesn't share her problems with me to keep me from worrying, but she doesn't realize that anything troubling her troubles me too. No one in this world has the power to take her away from me. My eyes darken, and I clench my jaw, fists tightening as I remember that bas- 

"Krishav!"

I'm lost in these thoughts when a voice breaks through.

I turn to see my uncle, my dad's business partner, standing with his wife and son. My parents are there too, holding glasses of drinks. Uncle curls his hand, signaling me to join them. 

I take a deep breath, knowing what's coming. Another lecture about my responsibilities and future.

But before I go, I turn to look at my sukoon, my peace, and find her eyes on me. The way they sparkle brings calm to my heart. I muster the strength and walk toward the group.

"Hello, Uncle," I greet him, forcing a smile.

"Hello Bete," Uncle starts, his tone all business.

"Good evening, son," my dad adds, his voice stern but not unkind.

"Hello, everyone," I reply, trying to keep my tone neutral.

"Krishav, we need to talk about the expansion," my uncle continues, his voice carrying the weight of expectation.

"I understand, Uncle. But as I've said, I can handle the branch from here," I respond, trying to keep my voice steady.

"But you need to be there, on the ground," my mother interjects, her voice firm.

I take a deep breath, glancing back at Jeeva. Her presence gives me the strength to stand my ground.

"I know it's important, but my place is here," I say, my voice resolute.

My uncle looks at me, then at my father. "We'll discuss this later," he says, clearly not wanting to argue in public. 

With a curt nod, he walks towards a group of businessmen, my father and their wives joining them. I can tell by the look on my uncle's face that he didn't appreciate my arguing. 

A sigh escapes me, knowing this matter will resurface once the guests leave.

I glance beside me and notice uncle's son Abhi, his eyes fixated on something—or rather, someone.