Webs and flowers

A/N: This chapter is definitely darker, as a whole than the previous two, but I have to develop some history and motivations and drop clues as to what lies ahead. There is talk about alzheimers and how it affects loved ones of those suffering the disease.

For two days Mia sat by her mother. Holding her hand. Barely moving. I sat with her, held her other hand, brushed her hair, washed her face, handed her coffee, tried to get her to take small amounts of food, and covered her with blankets when she fell asleep resting her head beside her mum.

The nurses and doctors worked around Mia, never asking her to leave or move. They realised I was there to help and made sure to bring in extra food and drinks. Reece, Marjorie and Autumn came to check in the second morning and bring us each a bag with a change of clothes.

When Marjorie came in she placed a hand on mine and looked at Mia with sad eyes. She moved beside her and put her hands on her shoulders. Mia looked up, closed her eyes and lent her head against Marjorie.
'I'm so sorry, my love,' Marjorie said in her kind way. And they just stayed there like that for a while.

It was then that Reece caught my eye and motioned for me to come outside. He and Autumn stood there with grave faces.
'What is it?' I asked.
'Has Mia asked what brought her mother in here?' Reece asked swallowing hard.
'Just the Nurse manager from Genevieve's care home said she had a turn. Why?' I was perplexed.
'She had an anaphylactic reaction and was found not breathing in her room,' Autumn said factually.
'What? What? How?' Why had someone not told Mia?
Autumn's voice trembled slightly as she started to speak again and Reece reached for her hand. 'There was a visitor to Genevieve just before dinner that night,' Autumn looked at her brother who nodded. 'They signed in Rog Knight.'

I fell into the seat behind me, head in my hands thinking about what that could mean. It couldn't be a coincidence that he had been asking where Mia was. But why? The devastation that man had caused. I looked back at my love holding her mother's hand, utterly broken hearted, Marjorie stroking her head. I looked up at Reece and Autumn who appeared shaken and distressed. Did he enjoy inflicting trauma like this?

Suddenly the elevator door beside us dings and when it opened I got my answer. Reece went to launch himself forward and let out a low growl, but Autumn held him back with one arm.
'Cameras,' she looked at Reece and up at the camera on the ceiling. Reece was filled with rage he was trying to control.
'Ah hello son, mutton chops,' Roger smiled.
'Hello father,' Autumn spoke with disdain. Her tone seemed to unsettle Roger a little. Funny that his towering son trying to beat him didn't seem concerning at all.

I could feel myself hot with anger and stood up. Roger turned towards me.
'Ah, how was Ireland Charlotte?' He gave a short laugh and looked me up and down with an invasive smirk.
'What do you want?' I was trying to be strong, tough even, but failing. Several nurses nearby had noticed the tense situation.
'I just came to give these to Amelia,' he handed me a bunch of half dried flowers. 'See that YOU tell her I'm glad to have her back,' and he turned on his heel narrowing his eyes at his children and stepped into the elevator.

'Throw those out now,' Autumn grabbed the flowers with tears in her eyes and I suddenly realised these weren't dry flowers they were half dead. Like the kind Roger had left for Autumn all those years ago. Autumn walked towards the nearest bin, but as she let them fall we all heard a frightening scream.
'Nooooo,' I looked up to see Mia looking wild, running at the flowers. She tore at the bouquet, threw them at the wall, falling to her knees and began tearing at them with loud screams. I ran over to her trying to get her to calm down, as she cried in fury.
'He can't have me back! He can't. I won't,' she was throwing her body into sobs and anger, her fists clenched so tight she was digging her nails into her palms.