CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE.

- ORANGE JUICE
- luneetoilex

"GOT TO HAVE YOU, BABY

ALL TO MYSELF

CANT STAND THE THOUGHT OF YOU

WITH ANYONE ELSE

GOT A JEALOUS BONE"

   HER FIRST DAY. The first day at a new job is supposed to be exciting. Amelia Brown's excitement was squashed not even an hour into the job.

   She'd walked in with her Yale sweatshirt over the ugly orange t-shirt they were forced to wear, 'Orange Julius' stretched across her chest. The t-shirt was too small across the chest but too long in length due to Amelia's less-than-average height. She had tucked it into her tiny jean shorts and her brand-new navy blue converse chucks smacked against the linoleum flooring as she walked.

   The Orange Julius shop was small, only having the juice spot out the front and a corner under the counter for a break room. There was going to be a guy there to train her and another girl to work with her. The guy would leave at lunch, leaving them to deal with it themselves.

   Amelia arrived second, the other new girl there before her was sat on the counter kicking her legs back and forth.

   Amelia dropped her bag, placing it in a small shelf. "Hi," She greeted, pulling the Yale sweatshirt off and folding it carefully. "I'm Amelia."

   "Yeah I know, you were the one that gave Steve Harrington those hickeys during spring break, right?" She asked. Amelia had been getting this question since Steve went into school after Amelia left. He made no attempt to hide the large purple bruises that covered his neck. "I'm Ruby, Ruby White."

   "I didn't give Steve the hickeys, he only told Megan Bradshaw we were dating as a joke." She was short with the girl but she was being nosy. Amelia was the only one that was allowed to be nosy.

   She looked at her surroundings, drinking in the sight she would grow to hate as the summer progressed. One particular store stuck out to her, directly opposite the Orange Julius. The nautical-themed ice cream shop, Scoops Ahoy.

   Maia's new 'friend', Robin Buckley worked there. Maia occasionally ditched her to hang out there  with Robin. Amelia suspects that they're dating, or at least banging in the back room. Thing was, it wasn't Robin who caught her eye. It was Steve Harrington.

   Steve Harrington, scooping strawberry ice cream for Megan Bradshaw, in that stupid uniform with the same smile he gave Amelia all those months ago.

   She could feel the ache in her heart as it settled, feel the tears prick her eyes as if she'd just stuck pins in her eyes. She saw Megan's shoulders shake in laughter, she shook her head in laughter and walked away licking at her strawberry cone.

   Steve turned around as the dividing window to the back room opened, Robin's head dipping into it. Her eyes locked onto Amelia's and her lips formed the words 'holy shit.'