42. 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙙𝙤𝙘𝙠

42. the dock

season 2, episode 4: the second polaroid

▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂

By the end of the movie, Alex had finished the entire bag of Sour Patch Kids with zero help from Nessa. The popcorn was devoured too. The movie ended, and the two teenagers walked out of the building, thinking about what their next adventure would be.

They walked along the sidewalk, hand in hand, examining the different stores and shops along the streets of their small town. They both stopped once they saw Baker Drug Store, debating on if they should go in.

"I kind of want to." Alex admitted to Nessa. "See Hannah's mom?"

"Yeah." Nessa said softly. "We should."

So, Nessa pushed the door in for Alex, letting him glide past her and into the building. Once he was inside, she stepped next to him, grabbing his hand as they looked up at Olivia Baker.

"Hi." Nessa said, announcing their presence.

"Hey there." Olivia said lightly, and Alex stepped forward.

"We just wanted to say hi, I guess, and see how you're doing." Alex told the woman.

Olivia smiled, her face softening. "I'm doing okay, thank you." she declared. "Some days are better than others, I guess, but I'm so happy to see you both."

Nessa smiled as she stepped closer to the woman, nervous to see her since the trial yesterday.

"How are you, Alex?" Olivia asked. "I've been thinking about you since I saw you at the deposition."

"Yeah, it's like you said." Alex told her. "Some days are better than others, but as long as I have Nessa with me, there's way more good days."

Nessa chuckled as Alex smiled at her. That was his normal response, anytime anyone asked how he was doing. He always gave her way more credit than she deserved, but she did the same for him whenever anyone asked her that same question.

"I'm meeting with the doctor soon, and hopefully they can clear me to testify and everything." Alex told Hannah's mom. "So, I'm just trying to remember anything that might help."

"Thank you." Mrs. Baker said, and Alex nodded. She put her hand up to her heart, a sign of gratitude. "That means a great deal."

The doorbell to the entrance rang, and both Alex and Nessa looked over and saw Hannah's dad, who stepped in unsteadily, stumbling a bit. "Hi, Liv." he said softly.

"Hi, Andy." she replied. Alex and Nessa looked back at each other, feeling the tension in the air.

"So, anyways, we just wanted to say hi, Mrs. Baker." Alex said lightly.

"Yes, it was nice to see you." Nessa told her, and the two went about their way out. They passed Mr. Baker on the way, giving him a quick greeting before walking out of the door and back onto the streets.

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

Nessa and Alex both sat at the dock, the sounds of the water and the wind overflowing their senses as Nessa looked over at him, taking in the way the wind blew his hair around, and the way his smile perfectly sat on his face. She was so grateful for these moments with him, and she tried to always take them in, and never take them for granted.