chapter 30: the grandson

Tristan's Parents' House – Late Evening

Tristan arrived at his parents' grand estate, his mind heavy with the weight of the day's events. The relief of knowing Sarah and the baby—Stan—were stable had been short-lived, as the realization of the next step took hold. He needed to tell his parents about his son.

As he stepped into the warm, well-lit living room, his parents were seated on the couch, sipping their evening tea. His mother, Marissa, looked up from her magazine, her sharp eyes immediately catching Tristan's somber expression.

Marissa:
(raising an eyebrow)
"Tristan, you're home late. Is everything alright?"

Tristan took a deep breath and stepped forward. This wasn't going to be easy.

Tristan:
(nervously)
"Mom, Dad, I need to talk to you both. It's important."

His father, Greg, put down his newspaper, giving Tristan his full attention. His mother's expression shifted to one of curiosity.

Greg:
"What's this about, son?"

Tristan hesitated for a moment, gathering the courage to speak. He knew how his parents felt about Sarah, but this was their grandchild. They had a right to know.

Tristan:
(seriously)
"I just came from the hospital. Sarah had an accident, and... she's stable now. The baby is too. I have a son. His name is Stan."

Marissa froze, her hand gripping the edge of her teacup tightly. Greg leaned forward, his brows furrowing.

Greg:
(in disbelief)
"A son? Sarah's child?"

Tristan:
(nodding)
"Yes. My son. He's mine. I just found out recently, but it's true."

The room fell into an uneasy silence. Marissa put down her cup with a deliberate clink, her face hardening as she spoke.

Marissa:
(sharply)
"Are you absolutely sure, Tristan? Have you had any proof that this child is really yours?"

Tristan felt his chest tighten. He had expected some resistance, but the tone of her voice stung.

Tristan:
(firmly)
"Mom, I'm sure. Sarah wouldn't lie about this. I've seen him... he's my son."

Marissa's eyes narrowed, her voice turning cold.

Marissa:
"And the mother of this child... is Sarah. A bar girl?"

Tristan clenched his fists, trying to keep his emotions in check.

Tristan:
"Sarah's past doesn't change the fact that Stan is my son. She's been through a lot, but she's a good person. She's fought for our child."

Marissa stood up, her voice rising in disbelief and anger.

Marissa:
(bitterly)
"A good person? Tristan, do you hear yourself? You want us to accept the child of a woman who worked in a bar? This... this is scandalous! How can you expect us to welcome someone like her into our family?"

Greg remained silent, watching his wife and son with a look of concern, but Marissa continued.

Marissa:
"If the baby is truly your son, we will accept him. He's blood. But as for Sarah... we will never accept her. Not in this family. She doesn't belong here."

Tristan's heart sank. He had known this was coming, but hearing it out loud cut deeper than he'd imagined.

Tristan:
(angrily)
"Mom, this isn't about her past. She's the mother of your grandson. Don't you care about that?"